• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help with this build please?

trueimage

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 10, 2002
Messages
239
Here is what I'm getting, it is an HTPC build:

Nmedia HTPC-400BA Media Centre Desktop Case ATX Black 1X5.25 3X3.5INT LCD IR Rack 400W $145.99

ASUS P5B ATX LGA775 Conroe 965P DDR2 PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 3PCI 6 SATA2 Sound RAID Motherboard $153.99

EVGA E-GEFORCE 7900 GS KO 500MHZ 256MB 256BIT 1.38GHZ GDDR3 Dual DVI-I HDTV Out HDCP Video Card $262.44

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Dual Core Processor LGA775 Conroe 2.13GHZ 1066FSB 2MB Retail $259.99

All prices are in CAD and before taxes/shipping.

Here's where I need help: motherboard and ram. (although I will certainly entertain any advice on any of the components)

Motherboard: Asus P5B. Any reason to get the deluxe or deluxe/wifi at $80 CDN more? I am aiming for around a 2.8-3.0 ghz overclock on stock cooler and near stock volts. I may replace the cooler with something quieter if it is terribly loud.

RAM: I have no clue about DDR2. I can get the following used for about $300 US:

OCZ OCZ2G10002GK 2GB Kit DDR2-1000 PC2-8000 Gold Gamer eXtreme XTC Edition Dual Channel Memory Retail

How are these? Is this a good deal, or should I settle for something cheaper? Do I nee PC2-8000 or should I look for PC2-6400 or something else?

Thanks for the help
 
With an E6400, any old DDR2-800 memory will work, since at DDR2-800 speeds, the CPU would be running at 3.2GHz.
 
Back
Top