• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help with Tamp set up with sub.

Fahrenheit

Weaksauce
Joined
Nov 9, 2010
Messages
122
So i'm thinking about going to an Tamp 2.1 set up and i need some help. I'm thinking about this amp http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-383&ctab=2#Tabs with the new Pioneer SP-BS21 that avsforum.com seem to be raving about. Question is how do I hook up a sub with this?


Also on a final note, think it would be worth it for the money and hassle of doing this over lets say just getting some Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 and calling it a day? I kinda also like that Tamp will work as a 1/4 jack head phone amp as well for my 555s.
 
A common solution is to just split the left channel before the amp. One of the L-ch RCA goes to the amp and the other to a mono input on the sub (LFE or attach it to L).
 
Thanks Shike, wouldnt that add some noise to the final output? And wouldn't with this ignore output from the right channel?

Now I think about it couldn't I use some of the other outputs for the sub from my computer? I mean its has 5.1 sound built in.


EDIT I just looked at the back of a few subs online and most have right and left RCA so if i went with this i could do is go 2.5mm jack to RCA cable then rca y fitting then take RCa to the sub and back to the t amp right? Anything I'd be worried about is added noise.

EDIT 2 I just noticed the sub im looking at has RCA in and out. So I could go computer to sub to Tamp to speakers, would that be ideal?
 
Last edited:
Thanks Shike, wouldnt that add some noise to the final output? And wouldn't with this ignore output from the right channel?

Shouldn't add significant noise, but it will ignore output from right channel. Generally though most bass is mixed in to left channel since this is generally an issue.

Now I think about it couldn't I use some of the other outputs for the sub from my computer? I mean its has 5.1 sound built in.

That could probably work.


EDIT I just looked at the back of a few subs online and most have right and left RCA so if i went with this i could do is go 2.5mm jack to RCA cable then rca y fitting then take RCa to the sub and back to the t amp right? Anything I'd be worried about is added noise.

EDIT 2 I just noticed the sub im looking at has RCA in and out. So I could go computer to sub to Tamp to speakers, would that be ideal?

Stop worrying about noise first thing, you're not going to get any by splitting the signal like that unless it feeds back into the circuit (it's not). If it has RCA in and out you're probably in luck. Give it a shot, but make sure to do a R/L audio test to make sure the channels aren't being combined into mono and stay true stereo at the speakers.
 
Thanks ill give it a try.

To my other question will it be worth it over a premade 2.1 for computers?
 
Thanks ill give it a try.

To my other question will it be worth it over a premade 2.1 for computers?

More than likely. What subwoofer are you looking at using with the Pioneer's?

Also, I'd suggest a different amp such as this one. It's basically a low cost pre-built gainclone, and the design is actually based off of Emotiva's BPA-1 which is now discontinued.
 
The RCA may not work how you expect. It looks like it's meant for preamp outs to the sub then a line-level to something like an integrated amp.

You can try it still, but if you're speakers sound really distorted you'll want to use the high-level instead. This means you use the speaker cable from the amp to the subwoofer, and from the subwoofer to the speakers.
 
Thanks man, I just ordered everything so as soon as it comes in ill report back.


You the man
 
Back
Top