• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Help with some recommendations

Nonpareil

n00b
Joined
Mar 2, 2006
Messages
53
Hi all,
I'm a noob when it comes to hifi stuff so bear with me...
I've been living with pc speakers for a while now, still holding onto my altec lansing M5021. My only foray into hifi, if you can call it, was to spend 350 on a pair of ultimate ears IEM. But after reading some audiophile forum, here included, I would like to experience these clean sounds that ppl are talking about.
Therefore I'm looking for a 2.1 setup for my pc, mac, dvd player and ps3. As to why 2.1, I kind of gathered that I'll get a decent 2.1 now and slowly get the other pieces for a complete HT system. With that, I believe I need a receiver, 2 monitors and a sub, with that I could get a center and some rear monitors later for a 5.1/7.1.
So I was wonder if any of you guys could advise me on what I can start off with. Also do I need an amp? Would it be better for a novice like me to start with a 2.0, like the behringer MS40, and work my way up?
Purpose of this setup is music and movies first with some side gaming. I will be outputting from my PC through S/Pdif, mac through headphone jack/USB, dvd player through RCA and ps3 HDMI.
So listing my believed requirements...
1) Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR576 or Sony STR-DG820, or is there something else that you would recommend?
2) Sub- Wharfedale Diamond SW150? Not sure of price tho
3) bookshelf monitors- Wharfedale Diamond 9.0 or Roth Audio OLi1?
Budget wise I am looking at not spending more than 500, but I'm up to listen to what you guys have to recommend.
Would like to thank in advance for any replies. I understand that sound is rather subjective, but I much rather hear some advise and use that as a base to work with then go to the shops like a fool and swallow what ever they push at my face.
Thanks
 
Last edited:
Back
Top