help with setting up my network

ignitionxvi

Limp Gawd
Hey Guys,

I have a wireless network, and i'm very new to this stuff. I'll do my best to get as much information into this as i can, as i'm not really sure what you need to help me diagnose the situation.

I have this computer in my room, connected to a WRT54G router. My cable modem is connected to the router, and another computer is connected to the router via the wired connection. My problem is, that on the computer in my room (which is connected via the wireless connection) if i go to windows explorer > network connections i get this error

networkerror.JPG

I have windows firewall turned off on both computers, DHCP is enabled (i had static IP's before on both computers before but turned them off), and using VNC i can connect to the computer downstairs. I was hoping to be able to make a drive from my downstairs computer a network drive upstairs so i can share my music and movies. Both computers have XP w/ SP2.

I hope i put enough info in here, thanks for any help.

Turn off simple file sharing and try again.

go to where you enable/disable hidden files and uncheck the very last option.

That_Sound_Guy said:
Turn off simple file sharing and try again.

go to where you enable/disable hidden files and uncheck the very last option.
that worked for a little bit, but now its doing the same thing again. I don't understand why :( Thanks for the help tho.

ignitionxvi said:
that worked for a little bit, but now its doing the same thing again. I don't understand why :( Thanks for the help tho.
That sounds like you don't have a solid wireless connection. You might try changing the wireless channel WRT54G is operating on.

sp00 said:
That sounds like you don't have a solid wireless connection. You might try changing the wireless channel WRT54G is operating on.
i changed channels, still no go. I can only see Dan-Room under MShome now, i have no idea what changed from a few hours ago. This computers worthless without hte network, i need to share my printer.

Whats wierd is i can still connect via ultraVNC

Try manually mapping a share to the computer.

\\computername\sharename
\\computername\printername
or
\\ip\sharename
\\ip\printername

Your wireless setup and the networking is setup fine, since you can see the rsource and detect it but you cant access it because of permissions. Its there your just not allowed yet.

Did you give permission on the Share at both NTFS AND share level? Do you have an account that will allow access to the share? You have to give permissions on the security tab by adding an account that allows the accessing computer to connect.

On the share, when I enable sharing, it adds the "everyone" group with read permission to the share's permissions. I then have to open the security tab and do the same thing. Ntfs has another layer of security that works in conjunctioin with the share's settings. The more restrictive settings win out. After I enable sharing the share permission=yes, the ntfs permission=no. Together they equal no.

Now if you are not using any security on your wireless, that share is now wide open to any wardriver in the hood.

I suggest that on the share's host create an account using the same login and password you use for you accessing computer, and add that user account to the securtiy tab of the share giving it proper permissions. to be even more tricksy remove the everyone group from the sharing tab and add the user account you just made.

Phaedrus said:
Your wireless setup and the networking is setup fine, since you can see the rsource and detect it but you cant access it because of permissions. Its there your just not allowed yet.

Did you give permission on the Share at both NTFS AND share level? Do you have an account that will allow access to the share? You have to give permissions on the security tab by adding an account that allows the accessing computer to connect.

On the share, when I enable sharing, it adds the "everyone" group with read permission to the share's permissions. I then have to open the security tab and do the same thing. Ntfs has another layer of security that works in conjunctioin with the share's settings. The more restrictive settings win out. After I enable sharing the share permission=yes, the ntfs permission=no. Together they equal no.

Now if you are not using any security on your wireless, that share is now wide open to any wardriver in the hood.

I suggest that on the share's host create an account using the same login and password you use for you accessing computer, and add that user account to the securtiy tab of the share giving it proper permissions. to be even more tricksy remove the everyone group from the sharing tab and add the user account you just made.

I did that, and i thought it would fix it. Now the computer in my room cannot see the computer downstairs (before it could see and just not access) and the computer downstairs can't see anything under "mshome" I have a feeling the problem has to do with the computer downstairs, there must be something i'm forgetting to do. Thanks for that tho, once i get it working that'll really come in handy.

Back