Help with setting up a room lan ect.

rufio

[H]ard|Gawd
Alright, I figure I should start on this so that when my itx mobo comes i can complete my server and just plug it in.

I have a netgear 5 port switch that I just bought and I will be wanting to use it so the ONE walljack i have in my dormroom will go to both of my computers. What is the best way for me to get everything running. Do i just plug from the walljack to hte switch and then each computer into the switch, does one cable have to be a cross over or can it all be patch?

Also, my main computer will soon have 2 Nic cards in it because I FXP to my xbox alot and i dont like having to change the cable and network settings every time. How is the easiest way to get this done so that i can have the main nic as my net/lan connection and then other NIC as a dedicated xover connection to my xbox.

Some info: I can have 2 nics registered on my network for individual IPs, which are not static. do i need to designate these IPs, do they HAVE to be static, or can i set it all to automatic and just let it all go.

If it is a newer model Netgear switch, then all the ports should be auto-sensing, meaning you can use standard patch cables and plug in to any one of the 5 ports.

Back