help with server racks

roftranspo

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2006
Ok, Here is the deal. My friend gave me 2 server racks that he picked up from an office sale. The problem is i have no idea what to do with them since i have never been in a corp. setting before. So i need to know what kinds of cases can go on them (quality is a plus), what i need to put into the cases and if i got the cases, could i stick desktops parts in there (ie ATX comp. and PCI card height) Any info will help. thx :) and yes, i need this info so i can load these bad boys up to fold :)

Seems there are plenty of ATX compatible options that you could throw just about anything in. One problem with some of that stuff might be rails though, not all of them come with.

You could always just shelf them out and throw regular towers in there.

p[H]ant0m;1030472524 said:
You could always just shelf them out and throw regular towers in there.

Thats what i was thinking, but one might go to work and if so, i would like them to be rackmountable (dont worry, it will still hold folding systems :)). And also, rackmount just looks cleaner. I will post up pix tonight so you guys know what im talking about.

Well check that link in my previous post... the Egg has a pile of 4u cases that take standard ATX mb's and psu's. It's just a touch more expensive, but it would get you what you're wanting. :D

p[H]ant0m;1030472575 said:
Well check that link in my previous post... the Egg has a pile of 4u cases that take standard ATX mb's and psu's. It's just a touch more expensive, but it would get you what you're wanting. :D

mmm.....egg....that is new....mmmmmm i love newegg :)

Desktop parts will work fine. You can usually fit boards up to EATX in 4u cases with no problems, and some take WATX.

Ok, Here is the deal. .... The problem is i have no idea what to do with them since i have never been in a corp. setting before. So i need to know what [blah, blah]

To deal properly with those server racks, you mostly need a receptive boss that you can brown-nose into giving you all those free parts that you need ! :p No corp. bkgrnd for me either, so in my house she is known as "dear" :D

To deal properly with those server racks, you mostly need a receptive boss that you can brown-nose into giving you all those free parts that you need ! :p No corp. bkgrnd for me either, so in my house she is known as "dear" :D

my work boss is easy...i just need to get a plan laid out and im good.

My wife....well since we have no money currently...i just have to wait.....or mod ;)

I assume these are 4 post racks since you said server not relay which would be a 2 post?

Be sure to get the correct mounting hardware for your/systems otherwise you will be in for a lot of fun.

Just buy some antec rackmount cases and then the antec rails that work with your rack. Here's the specs on their rackmount cases.

If you're looking for some rackmount cases, check this guy out as he always has something good up there at a decent price.

Also of interest, this guide is mostly about rails, but has some rack basics. I used it when I was building the Hanging Garden.

You can also do what I did which was order some rackmount shelves off Ebay for about $15 each and put standard cases etc on them. Heck of a lot cheaper than buying rackmount cases and then trying to find rails that will work for your cases and fit your rack.

finally got pix....this is what i have:
Photo_011107_001.jpg

Photo_011107_003.jpg

Photo_011107_002.jpg

*garage is clean cuz the SWMBO made me and helped ;)

Umm, that ain't a server rack. It's a coat rack. :D

A few posts up about the 4 post deal, that was kinda important. I think them things you got are for telecom equipment/light components.

Not what you want to hear, but in my opinion racks at home are teh suck. I'm talking teh moose suck here... :)

Server stuff is loud, pain in the butt to work on (well, compared to desktops), used "special" things. Just all in all, your gonna end up with LOUD computers, the 4u stuff maybe not but them things are tanks and you might as will just use a regular case. In my opinion.

So, that aside. Pics of SWMBO?

Umm, that ain't a server rack. It's a coat rack. :D

A few posts up about the 4 post deal, that was kinda important. I think them things you got are for telecom equipment/light components.

It sure was ;)

Mounting servers into relay racks can be done....but they become unbalanced and overloadeded (and you are going to need the 2 post kits) very quickly in my experience.

Not what you want to hear, but in my opinion racks at home are teh suck. I'm talking teh moose suck here... :)

I have an old IBM four post adjustable server rack in my dining room ATM :D

yep center mount rack shelves are pretty much your only solution with 2 post relay racks. That one also appears to be extruded aluminum so be cautious as to how much weight you stick in there. The only real solution for stability on those is to use the 4 holes in the bottom of the rack to stick 3" lag bolts into your floor to hold it upright and honestly the only thing relay racks are good for anyway is to mount switches, patch panels etc, putting equipment in them sucks. I use a relay rack for my switches and my KVM but use a big old honking server 4 post with doors and tornado inducing fans to house my actual server stuff as my wife would be a little skeptical with me putting lag bolts thru my floor...

I use a relay rack for my switches and my KVM but use a big old honking server 4 post with doors and tornado inducing fans to house my actual server stuff as my wife would be a little skeptical with me putting lag bolts thru my floor...
So she doesn't approve of four small bolts to secure the rack to the floor, but she doesn't mind large quantities of loud, power-sucking computing equipment she'd rather not have the guests see? :D

So she doesn't approve of four small bolts to secure the rack to the floor, but she doesn't mind large quantities of loud, power-sucking computing equipment she'd rather not have the guests see? :D

Oh you can believe that she minds that too but I think that having just paid 8K about a year ago to have all the hardwood floors refinished she would frown upon the 4 large holes to secure a rack that I dont really even need (but I had it so why not use it) The server rack sits in my theatre room so she just closes the door and the guests cant see it anyway. the real bitch is having to shut everything down so I can watch a movie as it makes a bit too much racket to hear unless I make it loud enough for the neighbors across town to hear it as well.

well...i guess i have to get modding ;)

and since alot of what i wanted to put on the one for work are light thingys i will be good there.

Maybe i will just get some hooks and hang the parts off of one ;) Thx for the help guys :)

Back