Help with Seagate's discwizard!!

ORCA

Weaksauce
Hello everyone!!

I'm hoping somebody will have some experience with this and can lend a helping hand.

I'm trying to upgrade my wife's computer from two HDD's (10 & 20GB) to just one Seagate 120 GB drive.

My first problem it's that I don't know the best way to consolidate the two drives into one. This computer was purchased in the forums and it came with winxp pro installed but not disc, will I have to purchase a winxp disc or can I transfer the OS from the old drive?

My second issue it's that I cannot run the discwizard program that came with the drive. It starts to load then dissapears back to the desktop. :confused:

It runs fine on my other winxp computer but that's not the computer that needs the new drive. Do I need any support files to run this program, ie...netframe or something similar?

This it's my first try at adding/replacing a HDD so all/any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Have a great day and thanks for reading my thread,
Orca.

Well...I spoke to a Seagate Rep on the phone who told me that they have no answer for this, said that it was a driver issue??

Can I use a different HDD manufacturer's disc to set up my Seagate?

Kinda bumbs me out :(

Diskwizard won't help I don't think. Some type of imaging software would probably be needed. Or do you know anyone in college...they can probably hook you up with a copy of Windows XP for probably under $15, depending on the school. Where are you located?

Search the "net" (cough cough) for Acronis TrueImage or Symantec Ghost, those will work too.

Boot off of the discwizard CD and from there you should be able to set up the drive and copy over any partitions you have on other harddrives. For some reason I have had better luck copying partitions in windows but it shoud work if you boot off the CD.

Ldogg1981 said:
Boot off of the discwizard CD and from there you should be able to set up the drive and copy over any partitions you have on other harddrives. For some reason I have had better luck copying partitions in windows but it shoud work if you boot off the CD.

Oh discwizard does? That's pretty cool.

Thanks for the advise!

I've never replaced a HDD before so I really was looking forward to using the discwizard that came with my new drive :(

I just don't get why DW wouldn't run on this particular computer, works just fine on my other 3 systems.

Back