• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help with Realtek ALC650 integrated audio

spectrumbx

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Apr 2, 2003
Messages
1,647
The Realtek ALC650 on my HTPC is giving me grief.
The sound dies just after one hour of use.

I have tried different versions of the drivers, but they all show the same issue.
The motherboard is an Abit AT7 and I am running windows media center on it.

I have to restart everytime in order to regain sound.

In order to reduce noise, I help back on cooling so my temps are a bit high.
Here are temps at full load:
Athlon XP 2400+ (2ghz)
case: 45c
cpu: 54c
ACPI: 49c

Any idea as to why I am losing sound after an hour of use?
 
TheGamerZ said:
put a heatsink on the southbridge
Ya, worth a shot. All of my shuttle MN31N nforce2 motherboards had hot running southbridges (had four total). The audio would cut out when the southbridge hit 50c. A small heatsink and slightly better ventilation fixed all of them right up, right away.
 
^^^

probably depends on mobo chipset and manufacturer. As i mentioned above, audio was the first (and only) thing to fail when southbridge temps hit around 50c.
I never waited around long enough to test if other functions also failed (like onboard firewire etc) since i would slap a heatsink on right away.
 
SJetski71 said:
^^^

probably depends on mobo chipset and manufacturer. As i mentioned above, audio was the first (and only) thing to fail when southbridge temps hit around 50c.
I never waited around long enough to test if other functions also failed (like onboard firewire etc) since i would slap a heatsink on right away.

I improved the cooling, which dropped temps by 6-7c all across except the cpu, but I am still having the same issue.
I guess a heatsink is needed. :(
 
Back
Top