Help with Raid 1

I have a 500gb hdd with information, however I will be adding another 500gb hdd to setup raid 1. Will I have to save everything on the hard drive before I do this or will it just make the initial copy ?

How are you doing the RAID 1? Via MB or via software in OS?

the first, probably.. the 2nd probably not.

Most likely with the MB. There is only 8gb of information, I could plop it over to the other hard drive for the time being until the hard drive raid is all setup.

I just don't want to go ahead with something and risk losing all the information since it's for a firm upstairs of the shop I work at. Thank you,

Since it is only 8GB and it is for work, even if I KNEW it wouldn't lose the data, I'd still back it up before touching it.

So back it up first, and in this case you probably will have to rebuild as onboard RAID is usually like that.

Done and done via motherboard.. Works pretty good too. Makes me wonder about simply doing double coppies instead of a raid setup since I know what I am doing ...

Done and done via motherboard.. Works pretty good too. Makes me wonder about simply doing double coppies instead of a raid setup since I know what I am doing ...

Well copies would be a backup.. RAID 1 is not a backup. What are you trying to achieve?

RAID 1 is so that if one of the drives dies, you can keep using your computer until another drive is purchased. It does nothing to protect your data (other than as a byproduct of drive failure protection) so if you get a virus, or accidentally delete something etc, your data is gone.

A copy or backup, is another set of the data such that in theory if one set gets corrupted the other set is still viable. (however if you were booting of the main drive, your system would have to be rebuilt to access the copy, unlike in RAID where you could boot off the degraded set)

wait wait.. rebuilt to access the copy :confused:

I thought about it like, drive 1 is the OS.. Drive 2 has info, Drive 3 has same info.. but I would be able to transport that with me to another station either for reading or safety reasons ?

wait wait.. rebuilt to access the copy :confused:

I thought about it like, drive 1 is the OS.. Drive 2 has info, Drive 3 has same info.. but I would be able to transport that with me to another station either for reading or safety reasons ?

If you boot drive gets corrupted, and you have your copy on another drive. Sorry if I wasn't clear

Back