Help With PS3 Surround Sound on PC

Pegleg Joe

Weaksauce
I want to somehow hook up my PS3 to my Klipsch 5.1 computer speakers. I know there are some soundcards that let me input via optical but I've heard they don't work with Vista. What is the cheapest/best option for hooking up my PS3 to these speakers? I've also heard I could hook them directly up to the best Logitech speakers but I'm not sure if I need a decoder or anything and I'm not too willing to buy a whole new set of speakers when the ones I have are great. Any help would be appreciated.

I have the Logitech Z-680 speakers and the volume control box-thing has an optical input on the back. I just connect the PS3 through that and it works fine (decoder is hardware). Which Klipsch 5.1 do you have? I'm just doing this from memory but the original ProMedia's didn't have any type of hardware input for optical but I think the newer digital version did have an optical input on the volume control box.

Xrave - I have the original ones and I just looked at the newer version and they don't have optical either

Both of you thanks for the reply, and that link really helped.
Looks like I need to buy the external decoder (though creative stopped making that one) or a new soundcard if I want 5.1.

I'm gonna post this question in the other thread but I'll put it here too. Now I have to decide between a X-fi Platinum Fatality with the additional bay with optical for $125 from newegg right now (it has a rebate until the 5th) or the highest end turtle beach which has optical in and goes for 60. Is the X-fi worth the extra price?

Back