Help with Patch Panel

gjunk

n00b
Hi,

Recently bought a NAS (Synology DS212j), upgraded to a gigabit router (Netgear WNDR3700), and now want to utilize the pre-wired ethernet ports in our condo. However, no idea how to do this last part.

Do i just plug one of the LAN ports from the router into the wall using a Cat5e cable?
Then the signal will be routed to all ethernet ports through the patch panel?

I located a patch panel in the closet, but not sure if its wired correctly or which connection goes where. I took some pics that you can see here: http://imgur.com/a/2R035#0
you can see in one of the pictures that some of the cables are only connected at one side.

thanks for any help!!

You will need a switch. Then you will need to plug in your ports on the patch panel into the switch.

Right now what you have is the Cat 5e ports going to the rooms on the left and the right. Those are the ports you will plug the Cat 5 patch cable into, then the other end into the switch.

The Center piece is what allows you to have phone service to those ports. You will either have phone service or you will have network, not both.

Does that make sense?

im not sure i understand the purpose of the switch?
would the router have to be plugged into the switch as well, meaning that the router would have to be in the closet?
or is there someway that the router (4 gigabit ports) can function as the swtich)
sorry, i dont have a great understanding of how this works?

we dont have a home phone so having phone and data is not an issue.

The Router can act as a switch as well. If you only need 4 ports connected, then it is fine.

If you are using a cable modem, I would plug the Cable modem into the cable at the bottom, plug the router into the cable modem, and the other rooms into the router, and call it good.

okay thanks i will give it a shot. im not sure how to tell which cables/panel ports go to which rooms, but maybe i can figure it out by trial and error.

i think i only need to use 3 of the 4 ports for now.

EDIT - last question removed

Last edited:
Relocating the router will work fine as long as you follow this flow:

Router LAN Port>Wall Outlet>Patch Panel Port>Switch Port

Assuming all other patch panel cables feed into into the switch, the cable running to router is the uplink cable that get's everyone talking to each other and online. A patch panel is just a means of terminating a cable so it can then be plugged into a networking device.

Back