Help with overclocking - Core i7 930 build

Joined
Apr 12, 2010
Messages
5
Hi all,

I'm basically a first-time overclocker - I've helped some friends do it in the past, but this is the first time I'm flying solo. Here are the parts:

CPU = i7 930 (Batch: 3951A808)
MOBO = Asus P6T SE
RAM = OCZ 1333 3x2GB 7-7-7-20
CPU Cooler = Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus
PSU = Corsair TX 750
GPU = XFX 5770 1 GB
HDD = 1 TB WD Caviar Black
Case = Coolermaster HAF 922 Case
Thermal Paste = Coolermaster High Performance Thermal Compound Kit (Highly rated thermal paste on Tigerdirect) - Silicon-based

OS = Windows 7 64-bit

I've updated the BIOS to Rev. 808. Also, I've read a bunch of guides, but the one I decided to more or less follow was this one, since it uses almost the same parts as I have:

http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/22106-core-i7-overclocking-guide-beginners.html

Anyway, the best I've been able to do was 3.5 GHz, with following settings:

Vcore: 1.2 V
BLCK: 166 MHz
Memory: 1331 MHz
Uncore: 2661 MHz
DRAM: 1.6 V
DRAM Settings: 7-7-7-20

I tried the following:

QPI Voltage: 1.25
BLCK: 180
Memory: (can't remember but I adjusted it down)
Uncore: 2x Memory

&:

QPI: Auto
BLCK: 177

In the first case, I couldn't get it to boot to Windows, and in the second, I got BSOD after I tried to kick off Prime95.

Another thing of note: For the overclock to 3.5, Core Temp indicated that temps went as high as 69C on Core 0, and up to 65-67 on the remaining three. After I stopped the test, the temps dropped back to low 30C within 2s. Interestingly enough, when I ran Prime95 on Stock settings, the temps were about the same. I'm thinking this either means I applied the paste wrong, or the CPU cooler isn't working.

Like I said, I'm basically a n00b to overclocking. Any help/suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Vince
 
Join us on the 930 oc'ing thread in the processors forum. There are 2 good guides in the 2nd post.
 
Back
Top