help with overclocking 9600 gt

masterosok

Gawd
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
969
I am attempting to overclock my Gigabyte 9600 GT ... I am using 3dmark05 to test for stability and it crashes if with the core/shader/mem at 750/1875/1000 and the temp is only getting to about 54 degrees before it crashes. I was curious what other people are getting and if anyone has any ideas as to why this would be the case.
 
Are you using RivaTuner?

I might also suggest you try to play any game with these settings...If you are getting artifacts, it might be that your OC might be too high...

Your temps seem fine but I can't think of any other reason
 
I bumped it down to 701/1752/1003 and it crashes after playing COD4 for about 10 minutes. It just seems like a very weak overclock for a 9600 GT (Gigabtye) when from what I read its supposed to be decent overclocker. I know results vary but others have been getting much better overclocks on their card and reach higher temps than mine with no stability issues.

Could there be some sort of voltage adjustment or mod that I am not aware of that is allowing the higher clock speeds?

I am currently using RivaTuner 2.09
 
I am attempting to overclock my Gigabyte 9600 GT ... I am using 3dmark05 to test for stability and it crashes if with the core/shader/mem at 750/1875/1000 and the temp is only getting to about 54 degrees before it crashes. I was curious what other people are getting and if anyone has any ideas as to why this would be the case.

Not sure what the stock settings are on this card, but in general are you trying to OC both the core and mem at the same time? If so, work on one at a time in small bumps and stability test until it fails, and then back off a little. then work on the other.

I have an XFX 9600gt that I haven't OC'd yet, but am going to try in the next couple of days. Every video card I've overclocked (TI4200, 7600GT, 7900GS) I've always used this method.

good luck!
 
I'll give that a try. Do you use RivaTuner and if so do you leave the Core and Shader linked or overclock them seperately too?
 
I haven't overclocked the GT that's installed in the one system (wife's pc) but yes I use Rivatuner on the 7900GS that I OC.
I just got a 2nd 9600gt for MY pc that I'm going to install later today and will be trying to OC it probably over the weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.

I've seen people doing it "both ways" with the Core/Shader linked and unlinked. I'll probably try linked 1st and see what the max OC is then try it with it unlinked to see what the difference is.

Just make sure you've got the latest Rivatuner, I'm not even sure it fully supports the 9600gt yet. I gotta go check that one out yet. I'm still running v2.06 and I won't try it with this version.

Just go slow with it and watch the GPU temps. I wouldn't get crazy if 3dMark doesn't run, IF it'll game ok. Might be a bad install of 3d mark. Does it bench at stock?
 
Just a quick update for ya. I slapped the new 9600GT in my e4300 box and installed the new version of Rivatuner 2.09. I ran a couple of quick benchmarks at stock to get a reference on speed and temps. (Using Aquamark for a quick check to make sure the card doesn't immediately lockup at whatever speed, then my stress test is the Supreme Commander Forged Alliance performance test. It's a pretty harsh 7 minute test that give the card a good workout)

First run I bumped the core/shader (left linked) to 710/1775. Good results and nice temps 44idle max 60. Then I bumped the core/shader up to 741/1852 again leaving the mem @
the stock 900. Again good results on the benchs. Played a couple of quick games of Supcom FA for about an hour and temps never broke 63c @ 741/1852/900.

I'm going to try the mem at 1000 with the 741/1852 setting after I run a couple of more games for an hour or so. I'd suggest dropping your memory back to stock and see if you can find the core/shader max. When you do find your max, back off a couple of MHZ and start upping the memory.

Good Luck!
 
3dmark runs fine at stock speeds and even COD4 was crashing as well.

The latest version of RivaTuner is 2.09 from what I have found so I should be up-to-date with that. Is there another GPU O/C tool that has better support for th 9600 that you know of?

Thanks for the info.. I think thats where I went wrong. I never backed off on the mem. I'll post my results when I have some time to mess around with it this weekend.
 
The latest version of RivaTuner is 2.09 from what I have found so I should be up-to-date with that. Is there another GPU O/C tool that has better support for th 9600 that you know of?

Not that I'm aware of, Rivatuner is the shizzle from what I've used for Nvidia cards.
 
Cool, thanks for all the info.. I ended up having to re-do my cpu overclock and I don't think I have the lowest voltage possible... so once I get that maxed I am gonna try the card again.
 
Back
Top