help with oc'ing my 3200+ veince

doug_7506

2[H]4U
when i was trying to max out my proc everything was running fine

i was @ 2.48Ghz with 37C core temp and 35C system temp running fine

i was moving up 3mhz every 40 seconds

when i went to 2.51Ghz i didnt catch any errors my computer just froze????

is this my limit?? i never adjusted my volts r nething else i wasnt suspose to and i never recieved any errors while in prime95 it jsut locked up on me. this is my first oc and i dont want to continue and mess up my proacessor..........

and if i shoudl continue should i start over r jsut pick up from around 2.30ghz and climb up agian?

thanks foo all yall help as always.....

it just needs a little more voltage. 2.48 might be your max at stock voltage. if u dont want to give it more volts, go back to 2.48 and run prime95 for 12 hours or me to see if its stable.

also, another thing that might have caused it to crash is ur memory. when u raise ur htt, the memory speed is increased also. you might want to set memory divider in bios to 1:2 and go back to 2.48 and start raising HTT a little at a time like you did before.

my memory divider was set at 1:2 so i seriously doubt it was that....

so i think i wil give it some more voltage... what is a good amount to give it in increments and the max i should give it so i dont destroy my processor????

On air cooling 1.55-1.60V is the highest I would go. 2.5GHz at stock settings is pretty damn good though. My Venice 3000+ took 1.52V to get to 270X9. I'm getting 31C idle and 43C load temps at this setting so I could probably go higher but am content where I'm at as far as speed/voltage trade-off.

alright well after i get home form work i guess ill add a litle voltage and puch it to see what i can get, ill proably stop at 1.55v maybe 1.6v if i think i need it but agreed my old pc was a 2.4 P4 so as long as i can destroy that thing, im happy.....

lol i had printed it out and i was using that one... the other one i had found on here is what i was using originally and i found out quicklly that i didnt like this one at all so i started using urs,

so do u think i should go back to 2.48 and run memtest see if its my memory and then if it is not my memory bumb up my voltage from 1.4v to say 1.45vand see what i can get then if it hits another ceiling bumb it to 1.5v and again to 1.55v which i think is thie highest i will go, and see how much farther i can push it?

thansk agian guys

and in using ur guide so far my limits have been

i used ur setting from ur guide to figure these out:

board: 355mhz
cpu: 2.48Ghz @ 37C under load
ram: havnt tested it yet

If you need it then bump the voltage on up to 1.6-1.65V to get you a higher clock and more stability. I just wouldn't go over 1.65V on aircooling with a 90nm chip.

doug_7506 said:
and in using ur guide so far my limits have been

i used ur setting from ur guide to figure these out:

board: 355mhz
cpu: 2.48Ghz @ 37C under load
ram: havnt tested it yet
nice board clock! :D

a warning for the ram though.. make sure you have >3-5 hours of spare time if you really want to push it the extra mile :p
and i agree with burningrave, though i personally wouldn't go over 1.6v.. i'm a conservative guy when it comes to volts ;)

as a side note, burningrave.. you're coming up on junkie status too. awesomeness :D

yeah i was pretty amazed my board did that... guess i did good in my msi selection....

so do u think i should change my volts straight from 1.4v to 1.55v or 1.6v or should i ease it up like i do with the fsb?? and i would be okay if i started back at like say 2.4ghz?? instead back at 2.0ghz?

thanks for all yall help on y first OC

welll my results of pushing my pc

1.4v (stock)
2.48Ghz
37C Proc

1.49v 6.6%
2.58Ghz
39C proc

1.53v 9.9%
2.63Ghz
40C proc

1.58v 13.3%
proc was unstable... programs randonmly failing and such.....

thing is, never once did i get an error in prime95 or my machine reboot

my comp would simply jsut freeze....

but im am contempt with my 2.6Ghz OC so i will un prime95 on it for 30 minutes right now at 2.61 Ghz just to check and make sure its stable....

next is ram but i dont have the couple hours i need to work with it right now... so that will come later.....

i ran my proc at 2.62Ghz for like 30 minutes and it froze up so i droped it down to 2.60Ghz and my comp froze agian...... no errors just freeze but when i did this earlier when i was seeing how high i could go i never had nepromblems untill it froze when i reached my limit????

I've got my 3200+ Venice core running at 2600MHz quite stable with stock voltage and the PIB hs/f. I've tried 2700, even with a slight voltage bump and it just locks up under load.

Under extended load it will get above 40C, which is when the fan kicks into high gear and gets anoyingly loud. So I may upgrade to a quieter than stock fan at some point.

My idle temp is about 33C. I've got the MSI Neo2 Plat MB with an x800 XT PE and my ram timings are 2-3-2-5 1T. Not sure what's causing the lock ups when I go further, it might either need more than a slight voltage bump or perhaps I just need to easy up on the ram timings.

what test are you running under prime95? I find it odd that prime will pass, but that the system is unstable? I find that the small FFTs are the best way to test just the cpu.

i was using ecplise's guid to oc...

i was using the small fft test...

and i my timming r 2.5-3-3-8 at 2T

i tried running in 1T but it locks up

and like i said it weird cuz if i add more voltage or increase the volt it becomes unstable and locks up but no error in prime....
i can get to 2.64Ghz with 1.53v, but i dont feel good about putting to much extra strain for i would like my pc to last more then a year so i was gonna run 2.5Ghz at 1.49v.......

should i try raising my timmings? that is the only thing i could think it would be?

are you also changing your chipset voltages, your LTD multiplier, your ram voltage, or your ram divider? All those things needs to be changed also when you start raising your fsb.

Back