Help with new way to keep ppl from stealing $$ Cisco APs | (pics!)

sulchus

Gawd
I work for the ITS dept on campus, and we have ~300 Cisco Aironet 1200 Access Points all over campus. Well, each one of these things is about $600, so we have a piece of cable attached to their mounting brackets to keep people from casually stealing them. Well, we're going to start pulling them all down to upgrade them to 802.11b/g and we don't want to put them back up using the current cable/crimp method.

Right now, the cable loops around one of the strong main runs of ceiling supension and then through the bracket. The AP is secured to the bracket, and the bracket is secured to the ceiling channel.

The problem with the current method is that we have to cut the cable to get them down for service or whatever, and I was hoping someone had a better idea about how to secure them up there.

I was thinking about some kind of barrel lock with a key, or a security hex screw so we can take them down easier. I was thinking about using some kind of throttle linkage for a car or lawn mower, but I couldn't find one that was 1/4" to fit the cable diameter. Any ideas?

cable_001_resized.jpg

cable_002_resized.jpg

cable_003_resized.jpg

cable_004_resized.jpg

Why not use a cable loop with a padlock or something?

Or use a lock-box, and make holes for the antennas?

No lock box since we've only had one actually stolen in the last few years, and the cost isn't justified. We thought about using a padlock, but then we'd have to re-do the ends on the cable to be loops to use the padlock.

If there was some kind of barrel with a lock where the ends of the cable wouldn't have to be looped, that'd be great. Then the cable could be left straight.

sulchus said:
No lock box since we've only had one actually stolen in the last few years, and the cost isn't justified. We thought about using a padlock, but then we'd have to re-do the ends on the cable to be loops to use the padlock.

If there was some kind of barrel with a lock where the ends of the cable wouldn't have to be looped, that'd be great. Then the cable could be left straight.

Just a though - don't lock them up at all. Just stick it on the other side of the ceiling tile so its completely hidden. If someone really wanted to get it they could poke around in the sub-ceiling I guess, but that would probably attract a fair ammount of attention. The tile won't block the signal much if any.

Agreed, the only way to prevent the thefts is to take them out of sight. This is the one thing that really sucks about Cisco APs. They store all of the data on them, so it really sucks when they get stolen. Alcatel stuff is pretty sweet...they have a central management module so they never need to be configured.

if they do get casually stolen, warwalk and look for its mac address.

but yeah, just put them above the ceiling.

Just put them in the plenum no one will even see them and will be amazed with a invisable wireless network.

Even in the plenum I would be sure to lock them with a something.

There are cables that have a barrel lock on one end that could probably serve your purpose. I used them at my last job, and unfortuately I have no idea what they were actually called. We called them Lockdown Cables.

I just googled for "Lockdown Cables" and found these. Hope they help! :)

This might have something

Or this

Or finally this

...just get some cheap butt combination lock/cable combos from hardware stores?

you can assign your own combo to most of these. you could either assign a diff one to each WAP or a commone one... but the risk of someone findin out the combo and then taking them all...

I agree move them so people dont know where they are by the holes you have punched, and also lock em up. Out of sight out of mind.

Putting them up in the ceiling isn't an option guys. No, the tiles don't block signal, but they're already implemented, and the people who provide the money ultimately get the final say, and they want them visable to convey the fact that we have one of the best wireless campus' in the state. Used to be top 100 in the country, not sure about that anymore. Them being stolen isn't that big of a problem. Only 1 or something has been ripped off. Yes they are secured, but the biggest deal is that we want something easy to take down and put back up for our benifit.

Direwolf20, I forgot about those kinds of cable locks, and I'm going to look into them. What I really want is the kind of barrel lock inline with the cable like you mentioned, but I can't think of their name either, hence the thread :p

The reason that a normal lock probably won't work, is that there is a small 1/4"ish or a bit bigger hole in the mounting bracket for the AP, so any cable with a hoop on the end, or likewise isn't going to fit through there.

Oh, and only about 2/3 of the APs are on suspended ceiling. Others are on other types of walls and ceilings, so we'd still need another kind of locking device.

there is always the option of using small locks and using the 'cable with hoops at each end'... locking both hoops and that hole in the WAP bracket into the lock itself... heck it might be a viable option honestly. I use small locks to lock zippers together on my luggage...

sulchus said:
We thought about using a padlock, but then we'd have to re-do the ends on the cable to be loops to use the padlock.

Forgive me if Im not understanding but aren't you re-doing the cable anyway when you replace the AP?

ok imagine the metal of this is the AP bracket, and the two keyrings are loops on the ends of a cheap bike lockup cable...

like this

First, greetings from KSU ResNet department :) I know U of Akron (about 30 min from here) has the 7th best network according to Intel .

I would be cautious to suggest security bits of some kind, but if they are all ceiling mounted and in well traveled areas, a security screw may work. Granted someone with the proper tools could get at it, but for the casual person it would work. Getting though Security bits were never a problem for me :cool:.

but if your looking for a locking solution, maybe something like This?

KSU almost made me think you were here in atlanta (kennisaw state univ.)

hehe

Back