Help with new PS

kenpomasta

Gawd
2FA
Joined
Jun 21, 2004
Messages
983
Im currently running a Enermax 550 watt PS. Its a wonderful PS. its handled my system perfectly. My fathers PS has passed away, and now need to get a new PS. I was thinking about upgrading my PS that can handle a SLI setup for the future. I have no doubt that my current PS could handle a SLI setup, but figured it just made sense to get myself a SLI/PCI-E PS. My current PS is a 24pin EPS PS and my rails on my current system is very stable.

I cant spend $200 on a PS, so the top 2 PS's are out of the Q. Ive been looking @ a couple PS's, I was wondering what everyone thought my best solution woudl be, and or if its even worth switching. The only one that is a lower wattage is the OCZ PS.
My rails measured by a MM: P4 under load, x800xt underload
12V: 12.16V
5V: 5.11
3.3V: 3.47


Current Enermax 550 watt PS

Enermax 600 watt

OCZ 520 watt

SeaSonic 600 watt
 
EPS was an actual spec for servers and as far as I know there is no spec for "SLI/PCI-E " power supplies other than marketing BS and recommendations from the video card makers.

You asked for my thoughts, it aint broke, dont fix it.
 
I think he's talking about him giving his father his PS and getting a new one that's SLI certified. And yes it makes a difference if it has PCI-E connectors. No adapters needed.
 
Yeah I am a little confused by the wording as well. If you want a new PSU I would get the Seasonic but I can't make a good recommendation without knowing the entire config.
 
Just received my Seasonic 600W PSU today. It has pretty much everything I need including dual +12v rails with 18A to each and dual PCIe connectors that I hope to utilize eventually.
 
Sry for the confusion yes. i was goign to give my PS up, and get a new PS for my system in my sig. Im not running any SLI or PCIE stuff yet, but I was thinking about getting the new PS just so I had those connectors. My system is in my sig, My dads comp almost any good PS can handle. His is a P4 3.2, G3 TI, 4x 200 GB IDE Raid 0+1 the only thing is that its on 24/7 .

I was more concerned am I giving up anything going from a PS thats designed for dual processor workstations (EPS) to a "SLI" verified PS. I didnt want to buy a new PS, and then after all the work of switching around find that its not as capable.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
 
kenpomasta said:
Sry for the confusion yes. i was goign to give my PS up, and get a new PS for my system in my sig. Im not running any SLI or PCIE stuff yet, but I was thinking about getting the new PS just so I had those connectors. My system is in my sig, My dads comp almost any good PS can handle. His is a P4 3.2, G3 TI, 4x 200 GB IDE Raid 0+1 the only thing is that its on 24/7 .

I was more concerned am I giving up anything going from a PS thats designed for dual processor workstations (EPS) to a "SLI" verified PS. I didnt want to buy a new PS, and then after all the work of switching around find that its not as capable.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Ok then you aren't giving up anything meaningful if the EPS unit is being used on a basic desktop.
 
Back
Top