Help With New PC Build

mMike01

Weaksauce
0) Please use PC Hound to post your system build.

https://pchound.com/E6fJnP/

1) Budget ~2,000

2) Figure out which components you would need for your setup. When we're referring to components, we mean:

Case
Power Supply (PSU)
Motherboard
Processor (CPU)
CPU Cooler/Heatsink with Fan (HSF)
Memory (RAM)
SSD
Hard Drive (HDD)
Video/Graphics Card (GPU)

OPERATING SYSTEM (OS) - Windows 10 Pro

PERIPHERALS/OTHER ACCESSORIES:
Monitor

3) Determine what the computer is going to be used for. It could be designed for one primary task, or it could be a "multitasking" machine capable of performing multiple/various tasks.

Gaming
May eventually want to dabble in VR gaming

4) Figure out which features you want on your computer. The motherboard could contain many of those features that you want already, but you may have to purchase other components in order to fill in the remaining gaps.

Nothing that the motherboard shouldn't have.

5) Overclocking - maybe, but not primary focus

6) Determine how long you want your machine to last. Depending on how well you take care of your machine, as well as how quickly technology changes during that time, you may or may not hit your self-imposed mark. You also need to consider how often you plan on updating key components in order to allow your machine to last longer.

5 years at least

8) Come up with a list of what you want. By this time, you have an idea of what you want. List your entire (planned) setup, including what you already have in your possession. Perform some more research to make sure that all of the components that you chose is compatible with each other.

What I initially put together, parts are also in PC Hound Link above, prices slightly different

Monitor: ????
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Black ATX High-Airflow Compact Light Tint Tempered Glass Mid Tower Computer Case - $89.99
PSU: Seasonic FOCUS series SSR-750FM 750W 80 + Gold Power Supply, Semi-Modular, ATX12V/EPS12V, Compact 140 - $89.99
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 5 - $169.99
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series) 95W BX80684I78700K Desktop Processor Intel UHD Graphics 630 - $359.99
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666 (PC4 21300) Memory Kit Model F4-2666C16Q-16GRB - $156.99
Graphics: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC GAMING ACX 3.0, 08G-P4-6183-KR, 8GB GDDR5X, LED, DX12 OSD Support (PXOC) - $672.63
SSD: 120GB 840 EVO SSD SATA III DISC - $164.99
Harddrive: WD Black 2TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD2003FZEX - $116.99
CPU Heatsink: ARCTIC COOLING Freezer i32 120mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler with 120 mm Fan - $39.99

Total: $1861.55

9) Figure out where you are going to purchase everything from. There are many places to shop at, but make sure that you choose at least two or three locations to shop from. Some places overcharge for certain components; NewEgg, for example, have some of the highest prices (in the US) for power supplies. This is by no means a complete list of stores to buy from but it should tell you which stores people usually buy from (please note that the following links are for US-based retailers):

NewEgg
Amazon
Microcenter (one locally)

10) Build Timeframe: I plan on buying the parts from now and until christmas. This will ultimately be a gift for my 3 boys where we will build it together.

Looking for any advice for this PC build, I'm always down for saving money, or using different parts that may have a more "bang for buck" type value, or just parts that you may feel are more reliable.

As stated above, this PC will be used for general stuff like internet, excel, youtube, powerpoint in addition to gaming and maybe, eventually VR gaming.

I need a monitor, but i have no idea which is a decent one. I'm looking for a decent entry level monitor at least 24" that won't break the bank. Looking through monitors, there are alot of options, i was just weary on quality of the more inexpensive ones.

Thanks in advance

You may want to wait for the i7-9700k and a Z390 board, which you will probably get the best deal buying from Microcenter.

Memory: get 2x8GB at least DDR4-3200.
Graphics: you should be able to find a 1080ti for less than that. There have been a few sales at $599 lately.
SSD: 840 evo is an old SSD that also had an unfixable hardware flaw. I would look into an 500GB NVME SSD. Either Samsung 970 EVO, WD Black, or one of the new SSDs with the silicon motion controller (Adata SX8200, Intel 760P, HP EX920)
CPU heatsink: If I was going to spend $40 I would get a Thermalright True Spirit 140 Direct

0) Please use PC Hound to post your system build.

https://pchound.com/Y6ZNL6/

1) Budget ~2,000

2) Figure out which components you would need for your setup. When we're referring to components, we mean:

Case
Power Supply (PSU)
Motherboard
Processor (CPU)
CPU Cooler/Heatsink with Fan (HSF)
Memory (RAM)
SSD
Video/Graphics Card (GPU)

OPERATING SYSTEM (OS) - Windows 10 Pro

PERIPHERALS/OTHER ACCESSORIES:
Monitor

3) Determine what the computer is going to be used for. It could be designed for one primary task, or it could be a "multitasking" machine capable of performing multiple/various tasks.

Gaming
May eventually want to dabble in VR gaming
Microsoft office products (school stuff, spreadsheets, word, powerpoint)

4) Figure out which features you want on your computer. The motherboard could contain many of those features that you want already, but you may have to purchase other components in order to fill in the remaining gaps.

Nothing that the motherboard shouldn't have.

5) Overclocking - maybe, but not primary focus

6) Determine how long you want your machine to last. Depending on how well you take care of your machine, as well as how quickly technology changes during that time, you may or may not hit your self-imposed mark. You also need to consider how often you plan on updating key components in order to allow your machine to last longer.

5 years at least

8) Come up with a list of what you want. By this time, you have an idea of what you want. List your entire (planned) setup, including what you already have in your possession. Perform some more research to make sure that all of the components that you chose is compatible with each other.

See PChound, below is a summary:

CPU - Intel Core I7-9700K
Motherboard - EVGA 134-KS-E377-KR
Memory - G.Skill 16 gb (2 x 8 gb) Ripjaw V, DDR4 3200
Video Card - Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080
Power Supply - SeaSonic Focus 750 Watt Gold
Storage - Samsung 1 TB 860 EVO
Case - Fractal Design Meshify C - Dark Mid Tower
CPU Cooler - Arctic Cooling Freezer i32 or Thermalright True Spirit 140 Direct(wasn't available for selection at PChound)
Monitor - Dell Alienware 25 (price available at PChound was 499.99, but can get it at Walmart for 299.99)

9) Figure out where you are going to purchase everything from. There are many places to shop at, but make sure that you choose at least two or three locations to shop from. Some places overcharge for certain components; NewEgg, for example, have some of the highest prices (in the US) for power supplies. This is by no means a complete list of stores to buy from but it should tell you which stores people usually buy from (please note that the following links are for US-based retailers):

NewEgg
Amazon
Microcenter (two locally, one with 3% sales tax)

10) Build Timeframe: I plan on buying the parts from now and until christmas. This will ultimately be a gift for my 3 boys where we will build it together.

I posted a build about a month ago, but since then I've updated the build with different parts.

Looking for any advice for this PC build, I'm always down for saving money, or using different parts that may have a more "bang for buck" type value, or just parts that you may feel are better or more reliable.

As stated above, this PC will be used for general stuff like internet, excel, youtube, powerpoint in addition to gaming and maybe, eventually VR gaming.

I have a Microcenter nearby with only 3% sales tax. Also, the monitor I've selected only has the 499.99 price available in the PCHound website; however, I can get the same monitor at Walmart for 299.99.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
I wouldn't buy 4 sticks of ram. Get 2 x 8GB sticks. The SSD seems expensive for 120GB I would buy a 500 GB one Crucial MX500 or Samsung EVO. Everything else looks good though your kids will love it.

I just saw I was commenting on your original parts list. The recent one you posted looks good ignore me lol

Looks good. My only comment is thats a beast of a cpu if your going to overclock it to 5 Ghz or near I'm not sure that $40 cooler is enough.

Thanks all, christmas has come and the new PC is working great so far. Was a good experience, kids really enjoyed putting it together. I think it was a decent learning experience for them, we talked about the hardware as we went, and what each component does. My one son was quite into it and put most things together himself.

Figured I'd share a few pics:

Attachments

• IMG_0306.JPG
    IMG_0306.JPG
    595.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0327.JPG
    IMG_0327.JPG
    622.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0335.JPG
    IMG_0335.JPG
    486.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0342.JPG