lemosley01
n00b
- Joined
- Apr 27, 2006
- Messages
- 15
Haven't built a system for a few years and have fallen a little behind.
Old system:
Opteron 165 at 2250 MHZ
G.SKILL DDR400
Geforce 7900GS (PCIe)
Abit KN8-SLI
2 hard-drives (IBM 40GB that is 5+ years old and a WD160GB, both PATA)
Dual-Layer DVD+RW
Ultra 500W PS
Here is what I am looking at:
Intel E8200
DFI LANPARTY DK P35-T2RS LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813136043
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK - Retail- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231166
40GB hard-drive gets replaced with a 250-320GB drive.
I've also considered the Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 MB.
If I can get a board that will overclock well and has firewire, that would be a plus. Neither of these two listed has it (it seems this feature is missing from most of the new 775 motherboards?)
I'd like to get a modest overclock - nothing bleeding edge, but whatever I can do with the stock HSF.
Purpose: Some development work, gaming (most of my games are 1-2 years old, I don't play many of the bleeding edge games anymore), I want to run Server 2008 + Hyper-V on it (otherwise I would go with the E7200).
Is my PS going to be large enough? Will it even work with the new MB/CPU?
PS Specs:
+5V - 30A
+3.3V - 30A
+12V1 - 16A
+12V2 - 18A
I'm aware the 7900GS is a huge bottleneck; I'll do an upgrade on that in the next 6 months or so.
Old system:
Opteron 165 at 2250 MHZ
G.SKILL DDR400
Geforce 7900GS (PCIe)
Abit KN8-SLI
2 hard-drives (IBM 40GB that is 5+ years old and a WD160GB, both PATA)
Dual-Layer DVD+RW
Ultra 500W PS
Here is what I am looking at:
Intel E8200
DFI LANPARTY DK P35-T2RS LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813136043
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK - Retail- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231166
40GB hard-drive gets replaced with a 250-320GB drive.
I've also considered the Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 MB.
If I can get a board that will overclock well and has firewire, that would be a plus. Neither of these two listed has it (it seems this feature is missing from most of the new 775 motherboards?)
I'd like to get a modest overclock - nothing bleeding edge, but whatever I can do with the stock HSF.
Purpose: Some development work, gaming (most of my games are 1-2 years old, I don't play many of the bleeding edge games anymore), I want to run Server 2008 + Hyper-V on it (otherwise I would go with the E7200).
Is my PS going to be large enough? Will it even work with the new MB/CPU?
PS Specs:
+5V - 30A
+3.3V - 30A
+12V1 - 16A
+12V2 - 18A
I'm aware the 7900GS is a huge bottleneck; I'll do an upgrade on that in the next 6 months or so.