• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help with new build for long term

455olds

Gawd
Joined
Dec 19, 2008
Messages
801
I'm looking to build something to replace my x58 system that has been my main gaming rig sense 2008. My main focus on this build is for it to last as long as possible without changing motherboard. I'll probably change cpu or add ram at some point down the road.


1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming,office and htpc.
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$2000.00
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
Boston MA
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
cpu,ram,motherboard,hard drive,
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Antec p100 case,Titan x 12gb video card, EVGA supernova 750 g2,
6) Will you be overclocking?
Not anytime soon but may try it at some point
7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
1080p
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
I can wait
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
ddr5 ram
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
have key

These are the parts I was thinking of getting. Is the ram I picked a good choice?

Intel Core i7-12700K $380​

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09FXNVDBJ?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

Noctua NH-D15 $109​

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Y87YHRH?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

EVGA Z690 CLASSIFIED $450​

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=121-AL-E698-KR&associatecode=PCPartPicker

CORSAIR Vengeance 64GB (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 5200 (PC5 41600) Intel XMP 3.0 Desktop Memory Model CMK64GX5M2B5200C40 $470​

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-64gb...&ranSiteID=8BacdVP0GFs-t1wGDMGyWXk2OvU5xQb8BA

SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB - M.2 NVMe Interface Internal Solid State Drive with V-NAND Technology (MZ-V7S2T0B/AM) $190​

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MFZXR1B?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

Total:$1589.91
appreciate any input. Thanks
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
looks fine but youll be confined to the 12th gen chips, iirc.
 
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
ddr5 ram

That's a... weird requirement. Why not DDR4? AFAIK there's virtually no benefit to DDR5, and costs substantially more.

I'd also probably cut the RAM down to 32 GB and up the SSD to a PCIe 4 unit (e.g., SK Hynix Platinum P41).

If you're in no hurry and not married to Intel, maybe wait to see what Zen 4 offers?
 
What sort of htpc stuff are you going to do?

As someone doing the media PC thing, it really does make my wheels turn on a potential direction.

One thought...go for AM4 with a 5600x. That leaves a pretty big upgrade path for a 5900x or 5950x or the 5800x3d.

Also, I'd also just go with 32gb ram and a gen4 drive. Not sure I would go with a 2tb drive...again, depends on the htpc. Ya might want a mechanical drive(s).
 
looks fine but youll be confined to the 12th gen chips, iirc.
I did some searching and I thought rumors where pointing towards 13th gen on z690.
That's a... weird requirement. Why not DDR4? AFAIK there's virtually no benefit to DDR5, and costs substantially more.

I'd also probably cut the RAM down to 32 GB and up the SSD to a PCIe 4 unit (e.g., SK Hynix Platinum P41).

If you're in no hurry and not married to Intel, maybe wait to see what Zen 4 offers?
I think ddr5 is going age better. After searching around it seams possible 13th gen will work on z690 and and might be ddr5 only or a chance it will run better on ddr5. I'm going to take your advice on the ssd and I might try to wait for zen 4. it seams likely amd's new socket will outlast z690?
What sort of htpc stuff are you going to do?

As someone doing the media PC thing, it really does make my wheels turn on a potential direction.

One thought...go for AM4 with a 5600x. That leaves a pretty big upgrade path for a 5900x or 5950x or the 5800x3d.

Also, I'd also just go with 32gb ram and a gen4 drive. Not sure I would go with a 2tb drive...again, depends on the htpc. Ya might want a mechanical drive(s).
I think am4 is done. There is a chance z690 will have new processors coming out that are faster than anything am 4 will support. My main intent with this build is whatever is going to work better in 10 years from now.
My currant setup crashes running games from spinner drive after installing windows 11 and I'm well withing budget. I went for the 2 tb drive incase this becomes a issue again. I think the extra space will come in handy in future. I'll probable add a mechanical drive as well. I'm going to go with your gen4 advice.


Appreciate everyone's input.
 
Can you hold off until AM5? AMD sockets last a long time.
 
Yes I might do that. My currant rig is ok for now.

I don't think it'll be a long wait. Motherboard companies are already showing off their high-end boards.

My personal plan is to spend big on an AM5 board, get a so-so CPU, some white label RAM, and then upgrade those when DDR5 is cheaper and we get a CPU refresh or outright wait until Zen5. Also, I really believe PCIe 5.0 for storage will be a major benefit in the upcoming future. I expect storage to be more of a bottleneck than I think a lot of other people do, and I think it's wiser to spend more on a motherboard that will accommodate it than have to upgrade that, too. Especially if or when motherboards without high-speed storage become undesirable.

Oh, ETA: Also these boards are expected to cost less than AM4 boards because of the new chipsets.
 
Oh, ETA: Also these boards are expected to cost less than AM4 boards because of the new chipsets.
I am sorry to tell you this, but you're just speculating at this point. More likely, it will be the exact opposite: Motherboards based on newer chipsets will absolutely require far beefier VRMs just to even maintain extremely low performance levels.
 
I am sorry to tell you this, but you're just speculating at this point. More likely, it will be the exact opposite: Motherboards based on newer chipsets will absolutely require far beefier VRMs just to even maintain extremely low performance levels.

No, I'm not, they cost less to manufacture. What people pay for them is a different issue entirely.
 
Back
Top