Help with Networking a Charter Cable Connection

Chained2f8

n00b
My friend has a connection through Charter Cable and would like to set up a home network so that he can take his Xbox and PSP online. The modem he uses is an Ambit 60678EU and he wants to connect that to a Linksys WRT54G. Has anyone else set up a network like this who can provide me with an explanation as to how to get this working? If it's relevant - his computer is set up to automatically obtain both an Ip Address and DNS Servers automatically.

Generally its very simple. I have Charter Pipeline in Michigan. It is simple you need to connect a cable from the Ethernet port on the cable modem to the WAN port on the Linksys box. Then connect your Xbox wirelessly or wired to the LAN ports. There shouldn't even been any configuration needed as Charter uses DHCP.

Plug and play. That's it.

Make sure you power cycle the cable modem after it is hooked up to the router, the Cable modem stores the MAC address of the first device it sees and will only allow that MAC address access to the net. A power cycle clears this entry and the cable modem will look for a new MAC address. Simply unplug the cable modem for 5 seconds.

Thanks guys. I already tried setting up the router with DHCP and could never get connected to the Internet but I didn't power cycle the Modem as you suggested which is most likely the problem.

Back