Help with .NET framework!

chockomonkey

[H]F Junkie
I have two separate computers which are both experiencing the same retarded shenanigains with regards to Microsoft's .NET framework.

Each computer had an update from Windows Update for .NET 3.5 which was had been failing for a long time for months.

I decided to try to fix the problem today--after much googling, i was led to believe that in order to fix this, i'd need to uninstall .net framework altogether and start fresh. So, i found a piece of software called .NET Framework Cleaner and got (to my knowledge) all versions of .NET off.

I had assumed that with a system "clean" of any .NET framework that windows update would see its absense and help me install all needed versions. This, however, was not the case--instead, windows update didn't notice it at all, so i have no pending update or installs of this framework.

Trying to scour the net, i can find the latest redist. from microsoft of 4.0, but (again from googling) i'm led to believe that i need multiple versions of .NET framework. Is there a way to install them all at once?

I can't believe how difficult this whole .NET thing has been, i don't know why Microsoft hasn't made this standard easier to see, service, etc... what a pita!

Thanks for any help,

Cheers

So as it turns out, Quickbooks saved my ass.

While trying to launch several quickbooks apps in the startup, Windows launched its installer and was running progress-bar after progress-bar... it looked like it was in an infinite loop, but eventually it stopped doing it's thing and restarted. When i looked in Add/Remove Programs, it had installed the necessary .net frameworks for me.

Is this how it's always done? by the program which requests it?

Last edited:
Interesting...

I've had issues with the Windows Imaging Component & file versions that conflicted with certain .NET Framework versions. I found workarounds to fix the updating issue but it looks different than your own.

edit: Quickbooks actually didn't end up fixing one of the two computers, so i had to find the answer--but i did.

So, if you ever have .net problems, you can completely remove all .net with this:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2006/05/30/611355.aspx

And then, you can add them all back with this:

http://www.computerbase.de/downloads/system/all_one_runtimes/ (i think it's Austrian so it's all in german, but it runs on its own so you're never left guessing what button to choose)

Anyway, all the .net is back and running well now.

Cheers

Last edited:
You'll need to find a silent installer for a big pack of them. I've seen some that are .NET Framework AIOs or they list all 3 major releases (1.1, 3.5 [includes 2 & 3], & 4).

yea the one i linked to above has all the various versions of .net (except 4), and other stuff like C++ runtime. It went through and installed them all, so i didn't have to worry about hitting install a bunch of times.

Quite pleasurable indeed.

That does look better than any other I've seen. I don't know much German though. Hopefully the dev will update it to v4.

Back