n00b
First off, here's my setup

P4 3.0C 800mhz
Asus p4c800-e deluxe
ASUS 9800 pro modded to XT
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 zs
1024mb (2*512) Pc3200 XMS @ 2-3-3-6
and finally, two 36GB Raptors

Here is the deal, I think that both of the raptors are dead. They're brand new but i think they are dead for some reason. I'm able to install windows on both of the drives, or set them up in raid 0 using either the ICH5R or the promise controller, and install windows. However, once in windows, if i'm using raid 0, one or both of the drives becomes corrupt and starts giving me error messages int he bottom right screen like c:\ has become corrupt please run chkdsk bleh bleh, run chkdsk, it fixes the errors, but still doesn't work. So i was like hmm, maybe the controller is borked somehow, and i tried just using them as single drives, so i formatted and installed them as single drives, now instead of becoming corrupt, no matter which drive i install them on it either randomly reboots, or a blue screen will come up (not BSOD) saying soemthing about various files, usually win32.sys or somethin and the computer needs to shutdown to prevent any damage to your computer, if you installed any new hardware please remove it or somethin like that..

Later today i'm going to try installing both of hte hd's on another computer, but right now i'm leaning towards the harddrives are screwed up somehow..

any help you guys can provide me will be greatly appreciated, thanks :)

and any other information you need to know just ask..i ran memchek86, nothing btw..

Go the WD website - they will have software on there that will check your disks out and tell you if it's spotted anything wrong with them.

The tests wouldn't work on either hard drive, i let both of them go for 15minutes before just giving up (that was on the quick test)

If your over clocked the SATA and or RAID controllers don’t like that at all.

Do the drives work when not raided?
Is there any real reason you're running raid? [ie a dedicated file server?]

they don't work when not in raid, they don't become corrupt but there is a different error, a blue screen pops up and something about win32.sys or something..i sent the drives back just in case because they're under warranty, but is it possible it's anything besidse the harddrives?

Skoob said:
i ran memchek86, nothing btw..

no errors from memcheck86

edit: just ran it again for 2 hours and 10mins, passed 8 times with 0 errors..memory is good..is it at all possible for a motherboard to mess up hard drives yet the mobo still functions normally?

and, is it better to use the legacy power connectors, or the legacy to sata connectors?

Back