Help with multiboot setup

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by mikey976, Aug 25, 2007.

1. mikey976

mikey976 [H]ard|Gawd

Im looking to run 3 OS's on my pc
    my current setup is as follows
    C2D e6600 @ stock for installs
    P5WDG2-WS pro
    2gb crucial ballistix pc2 8000
    x1950pro
    x-fi xtrememusic

my HD setup is 2x 36gb raptors in raid 0 on the ich7r controller for xp pro

and the remainder of my 3 sata drives on the marvell controller in ide config.
    and in order to see them i have to install the marvel driver.
    1 200gb wd
    2 250gb wd

the 200gb is split in half 1 partition for vista the other for ubuntu. (havent gotten around to installing that yet)

now here is my dilemma i know it would be easier to have the raid config on the marvell controller but for some oddball reason when the raid 0 is on the marvel controller
    i go to install windows press F6 as necc, then when time comes select drivers and install them. comes to the windows format and install screen. i format the array. it begins to copy the files but for some reason i get an error cannot copy mv6xx. sys/inf
    so im confused. i even trien using nlite to slip stream the drivers into windows.. no luck i see the specified driver but doesnt take effect.

is it possible to install on one raid array with all neccessary drivers then move the array from the ich7 to the marvell controller and still be able to boot?

2. Maxx

Maxx [H]ard|Gawd

You generally can't move a RAID from one controller to a different one. You could do a backup and then install that, but you'd still need the Marvell RAID drivers. I did a little searching and all I found is that the Marvell lacks Vista WHQL drivers, which will likely cause problems indefinitely, or at least a lot of people had trouble with it.

I looked around and found some drivers for it, though, and zipped up the Vista txtsetup ones here (dated 5/22/07):
    http://www.borecraft.com/DriverDisk.zip

*edit*
    Sorry, it's up now.

3. mikey976

mikey976 [H]ard|Gawd

see the thing is its not bein installed to the raid setup, i think i might just do away with the raid entirely, cause seems the reviews are a single wd 250 se16 is all around faster then 2 8mb raptors.

also what order should i install my OS's?
    i was thinking XP-ubuntu-vista in that order

4. Maxx

Maxx [H]ard|Gawd

If the driver isn't correct, it won't copy over to the OS during installation, even if it works to see the drive...I provided the newest Vista-certified one I could find for a Marvell RAID controller. Driver needs to be fully extracted, and also you can grab the driver off a CD/DVD or even another HDD in the system if you need, just FYI.

No way is a single WD250 SE16 faster. I have a WD320 SE16 (Raid Edition, but single right now) as the secondary drive in my PC, 2xRaptor-36 in a RAID-0, the Raptors are about 60% faster (100 MB/s vs. 60 MB/s) and of course have superior latency. Either way, though, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Lifehacker has a guide for that type of multi-boot here:
    http://lifehacker.com/software/ubun...leboot-windows-xp-vista-and-ubuntu-193474.php

He goes XP-Vista-Ubuntu, but clarifies that it doesn't matter whether Ubuntu or Vista comes before the other, as long as XP is the very first.

5. mikey976

mikey976 [H]ard|Gawd

well i appreciate it. but for not i took down the raid0
    i looked into that triple boot and seems pretty easy.
    im getting weird ata failed timeout errors while trying to load ubuntu off the live cd,
    and gentoo wont even open xserver gdm cause it cant load the driver for my x1950 pro
    so im goin to look into .

right now its as follows
    200gb xp (might split it and install ubuntu or gentoo on the last 30gigs or so.
    and vista on one of my raptors.

but for the most part everything is on hold till my case gets here.