• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help with mobo for Q9450 overclock

Ferris1

n00b
Joined
Jun 25, 2005
Messages
20
I have read through many posts on similar subjects and I haven't been able to narrow down my mobo choices.

I'm planning a new build with a Q9450 and I hope to get a 3.2 - 3.4Ghz. overclock.

Plan so far:
Intel Q9450 (when I can find one)
Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme
Scythe Scythe S-Flex SFF21F
G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1000
CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX
Antec P182
Yate Loon D12SM-12 (x5)
eVGA 8800GT
WD Raptor or VelociRaptor

I am not a gamer.
Video encoding/converting is my biggest workload.
I will not be doing SLI.
I would like at least 2 PCI-e x16 slots for possible 3-display setup in the future (second slot does not have to be full x16).

Here are some of the possibilities I have come up with so far. Hopefully someone can give me a recommendation or, more importantly, let me know if there are any bad choices for my proposed setup. Price is not a concern (within reason).

DFI LP UT P35 T2R
Abit IP35 Pro
Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS4

I didn't include/exclude any companies in particular--just tried to weigh all the positive/negative comments I could find. That said, I'm probably leaning toward the DFI at this point.
Any other suggestions welcome and appreciated.

As I understand it, x38 boards are only needed for SLI and x48 only for DDR3 so I primarily looked at p35 boards. If I am mistaken or one of these lines will provide a benefit, please let me know.

THX,
Ferris
 
Good research. You listed my exact three favorite P35 boards and put them in the right order. ;)

An X38 board would give you two full PCIe x16 slots, which could be useful if you wanted a fast RAID controller. It's not just for dual graphics. Otherwise, go with your P35 picks.

Robert

Edit: The rest of your list is top notch too. The DDR2 1000 G.Skill RAM, WD Raptor, Q9450, Thermalright HS and Scythe fan, etc. I have no complaints or criticism.
 
Someone correct me if I'm spouting FUD, as I'm no expert...

but there is no way I would get a P35 mobo for a 45nm quad core. X38, X48 only.
 
Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to go with the DFI. Now I guess I can look for some deals on the other parts while I wait for some Q9450s to become available.
 
dfi definitely. lp lt or dk. ut is ok too, but the cooling is not worth the extra bucks over the lt. these boards are the only p35 boards that you can disable vdroop in bios. i had the ut for a few weeks and it was terrific.
 
Back
Top