Hi, I have a 2 part question regarding lcd monitors I was wondering someone can explain to me.
I own a couple of lcd screens (an lg 17" and a compaq laptop) and I am currently looking to buy a new one.
I was wondering what is the term to describe how the onscreen colour/brightness seem to slowly mute or darken out when turning to the view the image from the side or top/bottom? (is it 'contrast ratio' or just viewing angle?)
I mainly use a viewsonic flat screen crt and I love how I can look at the screen at any angle and the picture does not change at all (like a plasma television as opposed to a projection tv). With my lcds however, I notice that if I shift my head like 10 degrees to the side, the colours will either saturate or grey out even though they were billed with
"170+ degree horiztonal and vertical viewing angle" and it gets highly irritating. Is there a spec term that tells me how much these colours are less susceptible to change when rotating the screen?
If this limitation is represented by the term "viewing angle", why do companies advertise their viewing angles at 170+ degrees, if their screens begin to change colour/brightness after rotating the monitor just around 20-40 degrees from the centre?? (and I've found this with every single lcd monitor I've ever looked at)
Also, how can 2 different brand lcd monitors have a 170 degree viewing angle, yet one of them seems to fade out the colour earlier than the other when turning them both to the side? Should I be looking at the lamp brightness or the sync rate rather than the viewing angle on the specsheet?
The second part of my question is about lcd resolution. I am currently using 1600x1200 on a 19 inch crt monitor. I can tell a difference in (cad) line quality when using an lcd monitor at 1280x800 (lines appears more jagged with my lcd). I was thinking if I get a 21 inch lcd monitor with a res of 1680x1050 will that give me equivalent image smoothness of my 19 in crt monitor, or will it be worse since the 21 in LCD is 2 inches bigger yet shares a similar resolution as the crt?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks for any help regarding this!
I own a couple of lcd screens (an lg 17" and a compaq laptop) and I am currently looking to buy a new one.
I was wondering what is the term to describe how the onscreen colour/brightness seem to slowly mute or darken out when turning to the view the image from the side or top/bottom? (is it 'contrast ratio' or just viewing angle?)
I mainly use a viewsonic flat screen crt and I love how I can look at the screen at any angle and the picture does not change at all (like a plasma television as opposed to a projection tv). With my lcds however, I notice that if I shift my head like 10 degrees to the side, the colours will either saturate or grey out even though they were billed with
"170+ degree horiztonal and vertical viewing angle" and it gets highly irritating. Is there a spec term that tells me how much these colours are less susceptible to change when rotating the screen?
If this limitation is represented by the term "viewing angle", why do companies advertise their viewing angles at 170+ degrees, if their screens begin to change colour/brightness after rotating the monitor just around 20-40 degrees from the centre?? (and I've found this with every single lcd monitor I've ever looked at)
Also, how can 2 different brand lcd monitors have a 170 degree viewing angle, yet one of them seems to fade out the colour earlier than the other when turning them both to the side? Should I be looking at the lamp brightness or the sync rate rather than the viewing angle on the specsheet?
The second part of my question is about lcd resolution. I am currently using 1600x1200 on a 19 inch crt monitor. I can tell a difference in (cad) line quality when using an lcd monitor at 1280x800 (lines appears more jagged with my lcd). I was thinking if I get a 21 inch lcd monitor with a res of 1680x1050 will that give me equivalent image smoothness of my 19 in crt monitor, or will it be worse since the 21 in LCD is 2 inches bigger yet shares a similar resolution as the crt?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks for any help regarding this!