help with lapping please...

Joined
Mar 31, 2008
Messages
57
so im currently lapping my gear and the first up is the hr-03. im on 1000 grit and its just a lil uneven, not too worried bout that...nothin a little more sandin cant do.

but i notice all these mirror finishes and i only got 3 grits left (1500, 2000, 2500) yet mine still looks scratchy as hell.

now, im not using water because i do not understand the concept of it...maybe this is the problem? if so someone please explain...
 
Water is used to lubricate the sanding, and keep the paper around longer + keep dust out. It's not required, but a little soapy water on your paper REALLY helps.

Make SURE you're only sanding in the same direction to get a mirror. Not back and forth, left to right or up to down. Start up, go down, lift the piece off the paper to the up position, and repeat... No need to do this until the final lap stages...

Those MIRROR finishes looked fairly dull until the final 25-30 swipes in the same direction... But, 2500 is 2.5x less gritty than 1000, it will make a big difference even if you use the figure 8 or circle technique.
 
ahhhh, thank you very much sir

i just took off my cpu heatsink and noticed it is near perfect, but i fucked it up with the razor blade so im gonna make a lil better. but in doing so i noticed just how uneven my hr-03 heatsink really is...the ends of the heatsink arent even with the top/middle even with the nickel patch. any suggestions on what to do with that?
 
I'm not quite sure why you are lapping with the first computer you've ever built. Did you ever succeed in getting it to actually post?

Congradulations on your ambition but it seems you've had some bad luck.
 
I am guessing he did because he already started another thread about his system performing a delayed powerup.
 
What are you using for a flat surface? I have used a piece of 1/2" glass in the past I had cut just for lapping. Its not bad checking with a blade but I hope that you are using something extremely flat for the sanding.

and please use water, even with soap is better.
 
What are you using for a flat surface? I have used a piece of 1/2" glass in the past I had cut just for lapping. Its not bad checking with a blade but I hope that you are using something extremely flat for the sanding.

and please use water, even with soap is better.

+1 to what Liberty said. A glass top table works best for a flat surface. And don't go crazy with the water. Just enough to lubricate. Especially when doing a proc.

In all actuality you won't need to go over 2000 grit paper. At 2000 and higher you're only making it shinier and not doing much to improve the flatness. I usually just lap to 1500 and call it a day. The extra effort to use 2000 & 2500 doesn't give any temp benefit.
 
Back
Top