Help with iPad Mini 5

Discussion in 'Apple Products' started by dreamwriter, Apr 18, 2019.

1. dreamwriter

dreamwriter Limp Gawd

I'm waiting for my iPad Mini 5 to arrive, and wanted some advice about cases. For extra protection I plan on getting an OtterBox when it comes out, but I also need a solution that would allow me to carry the iPad in an interior coat pocket, or an enlarged jacket pocket.

Are there any protective cases (from drops and basic screen protection) that are slim, and add little girth? Related to this question, are there any installation idiot proof screen protectors, hopefully ones that use either static charge or silicone adhesive for easy removal?

ESR makes a tempered glass screen protector that includes a frame for foolproof installation, but they never answer my question about how the screen is held into place in terms of adhesive.

Thanks

2. UnknownSouljer

UnknownSouljer [H]ardness Supreme

Everything is relative. It's clear you understand that getting an Otterbox more or less makes your device as close to indestructible as possible, while sacrificing ergonomics and portability. Going caseless gets you the other extreme. So, like all things it just depends on how you handle your device and what "level" of drop protection you find acceptable.

That said, I generally like Spigen. Perhaps something like this would work for you:
    https://www.amazon.com/Spigen-Smart...n+ipad+mini+5&qid=1555625405&s=gateway&sr=8-4
    That should be plenty in the case of mild bumps and "soft" drops. I doubt it would be the sort of case that would servive a drop that had increased acceleration (IE, thrown down as opposed to dropped).

Can't help you there. But all screen protectors have some form of adhesive unless they are physically attached to a case (like some Lifeproof and Otterbox cases). Generally they're all removable of course. Spigen also has a tempered glass screen protector for the 5. But if you have butter fingers then there is no "make it easy" guide. I'm not sure if any manufacturer does have a fool-proof method for iPads. I have seen some for phones.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  3. dreamwriter

dreamwriter Limp Gawd

Thanks for the reply, and I'll check out Spigen. I do understand that a slim case provides only marginal protection, but that's good enough for me when I need portability.

ESR does make a foolproof installation, as I mentioned. You get a frame that fits over the device, which guides the tempered glass right onto the screen of the device. And there are adhesives like silicone that can be pulled off without leaving a residue, but ESR never answered my e-mail as to what adhesive they if use.

There are also film screen protectors for phones which hold onto the screen by static charge. I need something like these two examples. But trying to find out that what I need to find out on Amazon is not so simple, and I'm sure there some other people out there who have the same needs.

4. Brian_B

Brian_B 2[H]4U

There was a review a while back that tested a bunch of different phone cases. Otter and the like were definitely on top, but when it came down to "all the others" - just the static film did a remarkable job of keeping the glass from shattering. It was a few years ago, before the new tempered glass stuff came out, so I don't know how those fare.

That being said, the static film is a huge pain to apply. I've gotten it right maybe once out of a dozen times. I never did try the tempered stuff, I'd be curious to hear how that works. A lot of times there are places in the mall or the phone repair spots that will sell and apply them - usually right next to the kiosks that sell hair extensions and timeshares.

I ended up giving up on them, I run my phone naked, and my iPad (10.5") in just a regular flip case. Remarkably, I've only cracked one screen, and that was because of a cat - even though iPhones seem to be coated with something that makes them slide off even level surfaces...

5. dreamwriter

dreamwriter Limp Gawd

But the great thing about the static film is that it can be reapplied, and leaves no residue. What you said about the film protecting the screen from shattering was interesting, because one prominent reviewer on you tube pointed out that tempered glass can transmit shock to the underlying glass, with obvious results.

I'm going to try again to find a static charge film protector for the Mini.

6. dreamwriter

dreamwriter Limp Gawd

Does anyone have any experience with either the Otterbox or the Catalyst cases for the iPad Mini? The Catalyst is waterproof while the Otterbox is not, but both are shockproof, and both include built in screen protectors, which eliminates installation traum.