Help with identifing Caps from a 8800GTS Video card.

eclypse

2[H]4U
Hello,

I just bought a damaged EVGA 8800GTS 360MB Super Clocked card from someone online. All the silver caps were broken off apon other things that were damaged in shipping in the past.

Picture037(1).jpg

Anyways i need to know what these aluminum caps with a plastic base are called and were i could buy some replacements?

The guy told me the numbers off the top of the caps.

From top to bottom:

SVP

Ofcourse i have no idea what any of the numbers mean..

Please help me out.. i'm hoping i can repair the card and give it to my Godson for Christmas.

go to agood electronics store or try to cantact Evga and work something out

good luck on the repair attempt man, I wish I had the steady hand and better tools to get it done myself.

Man if that card was abused bad enough to break off ALL of the caps like that you are probably looking at a DOA board even IF you managed to replace them all. I would put money on the fact that there is some other collateral damage there too aside from the broken caps... (broken traces, knocked off micro-smd-resistors, etc)

These are commonly referred to as "solid" surface mount or SMD capacitors. (solid versus the older electrolytic capacitors) SMD components are notoriously hard to replace. Your best hope short of trashing the board is to contact the board partner it was branded by and ask them about having it repaired.

Best thing for you to do is to get new caps, most likely because they may be pinched/damaged to the point where they will burn out if they are. and could fry your board. I suggest buying a set of them from a place like digikey (they sell them in small amounts compared to bulk 1000's)

Would you mind taking a full picture of the card so we can inspect it for more defects? i think i found a few you may need to replace.

P.S. this is a 320MB card, there is no 360

damaged.jpg

Man if that card was abused bad enough to break off ALL of the caps like that you are probably looking at a DOA board even IF you managed to replace them all. I would put money on the fact that there is some other collateral damage there too aside from the broken caps... (broken traces, knocked off micro-smd-resistors, etc)

These are commonly referred to as "solid" surface mount or SMD capacitors. (solid versus the older electrolytic capacitors) SMD components are notoriously hard to replace. Your best hope short of trashing the board is to contact the board partner it was branded by and ask them about having it repaired.

I've repaired a cap like that before twice.. No prob to fix.

Picture048.jpg

This is where the unknown lies.. See the circled area where that broken part lifted the PCB on one side.. Thats where i have not gone before in repairing something and i hope theres a way i can fix that.. Hopefully theres not many broken traces. I dont know if theres a way to cover the tear like a patch or whatnot.. hehe. Hop theres a web site to teach me if so.

Not a bad idea to contact EVGA and ask them if they can fix it though i doubt it would be cheap if they would.. Most likely would be cheaper to just of bought a new one then going that route.

I wanted a new project and to find a new card for the computer i built for my Godson last christmas. Hopefully i can get this fixed. It will be my biggest and greatest repair yet if i can.

I hope you didn't pay more than 10 bucks for this card because it's 100% shot.

They wont repair any board that is out of warranty, since you aren't the original owner. Also, i would suggest using a professional solder and not one of those cheap radioshack ones. That is if you can get ahold of one.;)

I hope you didn't pay more than 10 bucks for this card because it's 100% shot.

Hold on now.. Theres a chance.

This card was damaged in shipping.. not from miss use. its not like someone burn it up while it was runing.

Picture031.jpg

Heres the only full shot i have..

The only other told damage is the small tiny resistor that you can see that broke off below that 1R0 chip and the broken speaker (which i believe is not needed to run) and the broken plastic around the 6 pin power input (which prob dont need to be repaired but i have a replacement one if need be from a 7900GTX.

RussianHAXOR, what you see on those small black mosfetts is thermo goop i believe from the heatsink.

One of them looked melted from that picture, the others looked like they had thermal paste. Thanks for the image i will look more.

If that's true then shipping insurance should cover the damages.

Sabregen is who i just bought this card from.. he said he sold it to someone over seas.. Might not of been covered. i dont know.. Maybe Sabregen could explain that.

Best thing for you to do is to get new caps, most likely because they may be pinched/damaged to the point where they will burn out if they are. and could fry your board. I suggest buying a set of them from a place like digikey (they sell them in small amounts compared to bulk 1000's)

Yeah i had a long look over on there catalog..

only prob is that i dont know what the numbers stand for to help look for the right caps.

All i have is this quoted from the cap..

From top to bottom:

SVP

No symbols or anything else to know whats what.

Holy cow batman, the card is coming in today as it hit my local post office today! God i cant wait to see it.

Sucks that today the family is headin out to the Circus :( Damnit man..

What tools do i need to solder on a surface mount cap? A good heatgun? ALl the heatguns i see come with a 10x10mm 4 sided tip.. It would fit but theres only 2 solder spots on the cap.. Does that matter or do i need a tip that has 2 sides? I also have seen a pair of hot tweezers. Would that work ok as well?

So if i go with a heatgun i'll need solder paste as well right? Which kind? 200c Heatgun be fine?

Or do i just go with a regular cap and try to make it look as clean as possable using a regular soldering iron?

Looks like i was sold a card that is not possable to fix.. i asked for pics of the memory chpis and that northbridge looking chip and if they had any damage cause they were all covered up with thermo paste and pads.

The seller (sabregen) uploaded 4 pics showing the chips.. ofcourse the pic with the northbridge looking chip was blurry and had some thermo residue on it so i really could'nt tell.. So since he didnt comment on the damage i figured he ment they were all good.

So i get the card today around 2PM.. All excited i open it up and pull the card out and look right at the chips and see some more chips that are nicked up that was'nt mentioned.. Ok so there may be a chance there still funtional.. Check the broken chip with the torn PCB under it and who knows if thats fixable.. I'll have to ask. Though once i look at that northbridge looking chip i see a chipped edge! Looks pretty major and toast to me! No chance for repair not reason to keep on debating about what caps to get and tools to buy to attempt a repair as that chipped chip kills the deal.

Check the pics.. Clear pics..

DSC07106.JPG

DSC07110.JPG

DSC07114.JPG

DSC07117.JPG

Let me know what you think.

Concerning the caps, here they are in the usa. This is the digikey part number for some panasonic aluminum electrolytic capacitors, surface mount type, these are the fk series so they are very high quality with low impedance. The part number is PCE3789CT-ND, its rated for 330uf not 270, but you can always use caps with a higher value, but not lower for voltage regulation. Just put the part number in the digikey website to purchase.

Thanks man.. Though i wish i could be still dreaming of fixing this card. Thats all i have thought about since i layed eyes on this poor card. Now its crushed without even a chance to attempt it.

Ah, I posted before I read your last report, well doesnt look liek your going to be needing those caps, sorry man.

Seller (sabregen) Wrote this back to me asking for a full refund:

I just looked at your thread about fixing the card. I can honestly say that I did not see the chips on the component in question before shipping to you. I took the pictures as you asked me to, yet in your thread your purport that I ignored your request to verify that the chips were good or not. I supplied pictures of the areas that you asked for. If they were not satisfactory to you at the time, I would have expected that you would have asked for another picture. The card was sold as is, and was explained in full to have been damaged in shipping. I sent it with all of the the parts that I had in my posession, which is also all of the parts that came off of the card when it was initially shipped.

In looking at your pictures, all I can say is that I have seen chips in this condition, and worse (CPUs) that functioned just fine. Optimal, no. But the condition of (for lack of a better term) "damaged in shipping" was disclosed in full. I do not want this to get into a slander match. Perhaps we should lay it all out on the table, and let the mods decide what to do. I feel like I did everything asked, and kept my promise to ship on time, and well packaged to you. I do not feel like I misled you or misrepresented what I was in posession of, or what I was selling.

I am fine with a full disclosure thread on what happened. I still have all of the PMs that were exchanged. I don't think anyone is in the wrong here, just to be clear. LMK

Josh

My reply:

Its hard for me to tell in the pictures that you uploaded per my question. I was going off your good faith to describe the damage if any to the chips i asked.. hence since you showed the pics and did not mention any damage i took that as there fine.. Also thought that they were prob ok as you had thermo pads on there but were reattached with thermo goop in between witch looked strange but thought thats what you did after examining the card.

You mentioned all the damaged chips and had many pictures.. With the damaged that was said to be there it would of been fixable. If you would of mentioned that one chip had damage when i asked i would of passed as would anyone else that seen that damage.

You took detailed pictures of the damage where you circled where the damage was. You never mentioned that, that chip was damaged.. you even had pictures with that chip and the memory chips covered with thermo pads. hiding the damage to that NB chip.

Also stated that the card could be fixable with the right soldering skills.. its not.

You got ripped off.. but you kind of asked for it. I mean, this isn't some hackjob create-an-AM-radio kit from Radio Shack. It's a fine-tuned piece of computer hardware. Some cheap and easy fixer-up that is too good to be true usually is.

Reply from (sabregen)

Picture 003-5.jpg clearly shows the area in question, in the condition it was sent, and the condition in which I expect you received it. Regardless of whether of not I think it can be fixed with soldering skills, has no bearing on something that is sold as is. Picture 001-6.jpg also shows the area in question, and in better light.

I would also go off of good faith, were I in your shoes. Hoever, a good faith estimate regarding the condition, which is what I gave you, only holds me liable for representing a sale item to be in the condition that the buyer is willing to agree to pay for. In this case, that was "as is, damaged in shipping." I feel bad, and if I had seen the area in question, would sure to have mentioned it. I have made shipping and other mistakes in my trading past, but have always strived to resolve it to the buyers satisfaction. I would like for this situation to be no different, however, I feel that I gave a full disclosure on my knowledge of the items, and decribed in full what I knew the damage to be.

Josh

PS - I appreciate you being civil. Some people on here get really out of hand, really quickly. I would like very much to continue in a professional and (firm but...) courteous manner.

My response:

Sorry but i fail to see anything in your sale thread stating that all sales are final or anything close. Did not remember reading that either before you edited your sale thread when you sold this card.

No pictures were clear in fact the card is very dirty and has thermo paste here and there and even on the said chip.. Flash glare as well. Hard to tell without a close up. So with the naked eye you can see it and you should of stated that its chipped when i asked.

Refund.. or i can file with paypal and let them decide or just do a charge back.

Original Sale thread

You got ripped off.. but you kind of asked for it. I mean, this isn't some hackjob create-an-AM-radio kit from Radio Shack. It's a fine-tuned piece of computer hardware. Some cheap and easy fixer-up that is too good to be true usually is.

I've fixed plenty of dead caps and tiny resistors and even broken traces.. Everything thats mentioned and marked damage. You cant fix that Nvidia NB chip!

Hell i have a totally like new 7900GTX card in my closet that i could of sold last year thats toally fine looking.. No noticable damnage! Plug it in and it works fine... in 2D that is. 10-30 secs after you run something 3D the picture scrambles.. Why?? Well cause i ever so slightly chipped that same damn Nvidia NB looking chip while putting on a 3rd party heatsink. Damn bolts didnt go in threw the holes straight and the heatsink went on crooked and i didnt notice and it chipped it. Because of that its a dmaged card.

So if this is fine.. then i guess i'm being stupid and i should toss it up on ebay and sell it off and get away with it cause i didnt state the damage and just act stupid to it when the buyer contacts be.

Though i'm an honest guy and would never ever sell something that i knew was damaged.

Oh wait.. i could just take that 7900GTX and tear off a cap or 2 and start a sell thread here stating the same thing that sabregen did and get away with it. Got mad soldering skillz??

I understand that you are upset. I do not agree with your tone, or the slander that you are looking to be headed towards. I think that anything that is sold as is, is implied to have no warranty, nor do I make any claims to the repairability of it. As a matter of fact, I started in on trying to fix it myself, before posting it up for sale. You did not get taken. I am at a loss. Check my heat, all posistive. As I said before, I've made mistakes, but I've always made them right. I don't feel as though I've made a mistake here. I will ask the opinion of everyone reading this, and I am inviting the mods, as well.

Josh

The only question I have is, if it was 'damaged in shipping' why was a claim not filed with the shipper or the card RMA'd due to improper packaging/preparation for shipment? Seems to me that the first thing you would do with a product damaged upon reciept is follow up with those sending it or those transporting it. Something there just doesn't add up to me. /shrug

No where was it stated that no refunds giving or all sales final in your sale thread.

You sold this card as easily fixable if you have the skills and right tools and your original price was $150.. Marked all the damage on the card that needed to be fixed. The chipped chip was not marked nor is this card fixable. What was stated in the sale is wrong. THe card is not fixable.

$83.39 is what i paid for it.

The card was originally purchased, and used by me for about a month. It was then sold to someone here on the forums, but he lives in India. His name is kniwor on here. When I originally shipped the card, I had already replaced the stock cooler with the TMG ND5 kit. The thermal pads in the original pics posted in the FS/FT thread, and in the pics sent to eclypse were from that kit. The VRMs at the rear of the board had the aluminum sinks from the TMG ND5 kit on them as well. However, when I went to ship the card to India, the TMG ND5 is too large to fit into the eVGA box, so I removed it, and put the stock cooler back on, but I did not secure it, as I did not want to crush the aluminum sinks on the VRMs. As it so happened, I didn't think when I was packing it, as failure to secure the original heatsink caused it to move around in shipping, causing the damage to the card that rendered it inoperable.

The original buyer had requested that the package not be insured so that he could pick it up from customs without paying whatever fines would be associated with (at the time) a $260.00USD purchase that was insured, and sitting in customs. He specifically requested no insurance, but since the failure to secure the original heatsink was my fault (I felt), I told him to ship it back to me, and I would refund him, which I did (including 1/2 the shipping costs). He will confirm this is all true.

Upon receiving the card back, I attempted, as previously stated, to repair the card myself, but knew that I was in over my head. This is when I decided that it was just simply beyond my abilities, and put it up for sale, as is.

I also contact RuassianHAXOR regarding this very card about 3 weeks ago, and told him what had happened, and he confirmed that per eVGA warranty rules, no physical damage to the card is covered, and it would not be eligible for repair or replacement under RMA. This was a bummer, because I had also purchased the overnight advanced replacement plan. I contacted eVGA, and they refunded me (in eVGA bucks) the purchase price for this repair plan.

I have PM'd Malcom_Staudiger about this thread. I hope he shows up soon.

eclypse: I am disappointed that you have taken this route (public) instead of trying to resolve it through PM. As such, all of my resources will be tapped. If I am wrong, I will do what is right. However, I disagree with your actions in pursuit of a resolution.

I have not done anything wrong. Slander and my tone comments is nonsense.

I'm off to the Circus with my wife and 2 and a half year old.. When i get back i'll be filling with paypal.

Your in the wrong. You didint state all the damage even when i asked you about this chip you didnt tell me. Because of that fact you should refund me.

Why bother trying to sort this out in PM's when i knew all along what possition you would take.

If your a good guy you would refund me like you did with the other guy that didnt buy shipping insurrance.. you didnt have to refund him and supposivily you did. I should contact him and see how it went.

If you tried selling this card in this condition for $150 then you thought in your mind it was fixable.

I have received a response from Malcolm_Staudinger that basically said that he thought I covered my butt in the initial FS thread, and that I did well to provide all pics that were requested. I have also contact Dr.Evil asking his opinion, since Malcolm has no jusridiction over video cards, but does do FS/FT. Dr.Evil does both.

edited for content, out of respect for Malcolm_Staudinger. I hope this gets removed and/or moved to TTT section for full discussion.

Not sure what the mods have to do with it.. unless they work for Paypal too. ;)

Interesting India story though.. kinda silly not to screw the sink down or wrap it up seperately though :p

Please keep the rest of the talks about refunds to PMs as this thread is about repair the card. If anything at you can start a thread in TTT but it was stated as is and he provided you pictures of the damage.

Back