Help with Home Network scheme

Carlosinfl

Loves the juice
I am setting up my new home network and need some help as I am really rusty.

Can someone please be kind to take a look at my LAN diagram and tell me if they see a big problem or any suggestions are welcome. I just started using Smoothwall and I want it for "Firewall" usage only. I know the Cisco router is over kill but I use it a lot to keep up with my IOS.

I am not sure if I can have the Smootwall as the first line of defense and then the Cisco router behind it? Also the ip address scheme is a little shady for me too so if any one can please tell me what looks wrong and or what should be what, that would be most helpful.

Thanks all.

This was my fist time using Visto...SORRY

http://carlwill.com/LAN.jpg

carloswill said:
I am not sure if I can have the Smootwall as the first line of defense and then the Cisco router behind it?

Well, you can't, as far as I know, have the smoothwall outside the modem. I don't know much about smoothwall's features, but I don't think that will work. However, you can certainly have it in front of the cisco router. We have firewalls at work in front of all our boundaries. You'll just need to open ports through the firewall for desired services.

carloswill said:
Also the ip address scheme is a little shady for me too so if any one can please tell me what looks wrong and or what should be what, that would be most helpful.

Looks fine. You're only using one network address, and so long as you don't duplicate an IP anywhere, you should be fine.

Here is an updated diagram I made.

My question is since the WRT54G router is in my lan but will not be a "router", just a access point, how do I access the WRT54G to configure "wireless" access? I use to just type in the routers up 192.168..... :rolleyes: to access the routers login but now that will not work.

Second:

If I decide to change the routing address for the 2 servers (everything right of the LAN switch) to 192.168.2.x, will that cause any problems or will I need another router between them? I know this is not necessary but this will help me understand how this all works and if it can be done, I would like to.

LAN.png

Your access point should still have an IP address that you should be able to get access to. You've just turned some of the features off but it still needs an IP.

Changing the servers to a 192.168.2.x address may cause problems depending on your subnet mask. I would guess you are using 255.255.255.0 in which case now your servers are on a different network so you won't be able to "see" them without a router in between. Your cisco could do this without a problem. If you are using 255.255.0.0 as your mask your servers are still on the same network and you will NOT need a router.

I've never seen the benefit to putting your servers on a different network. It just seems to complicate things. I usually just set aside the first 10 or so IP's in a range for servers and make them static.

carloswill said:
Here is an updated diagram I made.

My question is since the WRT54G router is in my lan but will not be a "router", just a access point, how do I access the WRT54G to configure "wireless" access? I use to just type in the routers up 192.168..... :rolleyes: to access the routers login but now that will not work.

Second:

If I decide to change the routing address for the 2 servers (everything right of the LAN switch) to 192.168.2.x, will that cause any problems or will I need another router between them? I know this is not necessary but this will help me understand how this all works and if it can be done, I would like to.

QUOTE]

Back