Help with Fraps

dleib

n00b
Hey Hardforum

So I have fraps, and as you may know, the movie files it produces are very large. How can I compress these files so they are smaller?

I have virtualdub, but when i "save as avi" it produces a movie even larger than the previous movie file. suggestions?

thanks

install xvid.

select compression from the video menu
select xvid and configure
save as avi.

3gb file will compress to like 100mb and look good.

or just google it.

Well I just went to the FRAPS website and lo and behold I found this;)

Why is the AVI movie generated by Fraps so big? How can I reduce the size?

The filesize is big because there isn’t enough time to encode the movie while the game is running. The movie frames are slightly compressed, but still require a large amount of disk space due to the high resolutions. Once you have finished capturing you should convert the saved AVI into one of the popular compressed movie formats such as mpeg or divx. Recommended programs for doing this are tmpgenc (Tsunami Mpeg Encoder), and VirtualDub.

Using VirtualDub is quite easy. To create a compressed version of the AVI follow these steps:

* Start VirtualDub
* Select File->Open and choose the AVI in the Fraps directory you wish to compress.
* Select Video->Compression and choose the codec you wish to compress with (usually divx)
* Select File->Save As AVI and specify a filename for the new AVI.

If you have Windows XP you can also use Windows Movie Maker to compress the video files. If you use Windows Movie Maker it's recommended that you keep your Fraps video files at 800x600 or under.

http://www.fraps.com/faq.php

yea, i tried some of those options already but it didn't work. i installed the divx codec pack, but virtualdub isn't picking it up, as i can't choose divx as the codec under the compression menu. how can i make virtualdub use the divx codec to compress?

I looked into handbrake, thanks for the links snowknight26. But, do you have any suggestions for handbrake? I am using the default settings, and when i select the fraps movie file as the source, then click start, the resulting file by handbrake is only audio.

anyone know how to get the video as well? thanks

Not a lot of people have the time to explain the ins and outs of VirtualDub... there are tons of websites dedicated to nothing but that.

If you can't figure out VirtualDub then there is always Windows Movie Maker (Part of Windows XP/Vista, Free for Windows 7 as part of the Windows Live Essentials download). Granted, you're going to be producing Windows Media Video (.WMV) files but hell at least everyone will be able to play them without having to install codecs.

Remember if you're working with widescreen video to go into the WMM options and change the aspect ratio to 16:9 Widescreen.

thanks bluefalcon. i have been looking at a lot of virtualdub sites but i can't find out how to choose the divx codec under the compression menu, which seems simple enough. the divx codec just doesn't show up.

but, i've now tried handbrake, and that is giving me problems as well, as when i encode videos it results in only an audio file. any suggestions?

Get a 640GB hard drive like mine and then don't notice or care about file size. Oh wait maybe that's why Windows Movie Maker kept jamming up. ;)

Back