• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

help with first PC build...

Joined
Oct 8, 2008
Messages
2
Hey guys,

I've been reading [H] for a little while (very helpful! :D) but I'm a noob at PC building. I know there's 50 million of these threads, but this is my first build so I should probably get some help. I think I got everything down except the Mobo/GPU selection (if my system will blow up, please let me know. that'd be appreciated :p). I tried searching the forums and reading the comparisons but I still can't figure it out. I don't have a strict budget but for trying to keep my whole system under $800, it looks like it'll be $250-300ish for mobo/gpu. I'm also hoping to keep using this system for at least 3-4 years with minimal upgrades (this may be a noob notion). Crossfire looks appealing because then I can just slot in another cheap (at that time) card to continue to run the current games in a couple years (or do it now), right?

This is what I have so far, and I bought all but the GPU/Mobo and Case (was getting deals before they ran out). I was pretty sure the PSU could support any of the options I'm looking at but if not please let me know... :)

I will use this to play games, primarily Warhammer Online, SC2, DIII, probably something like Fallout 3 or Unreal Tournament 3, CoD4, etc. I don't care if it doesn't run Crysis well (I don't have the game anyway). I also hope to get an HD TV tuner so I don't need to get an expensive TV. My monitor is 24" and I will game at 1920x1200 resolution.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83Ghz - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115041

GPU: ??

Mobo: ??

PSU: Corsair 650TX - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005&Tpk=corsair 650tx

Memory: Crucial 2 x 2GB PC-6400 800Mhz DDR2 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005&Tpk=corsair 650tx

Case: Antec P182 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129025&Tpk=antec p182

HDD: Seagate 500GB 32MB Cache 7200RPM (only reason I'm getting 32MB is because it's about $4 more than the 16MB on eBay) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129025&Tpk=antec p182

My choice of motherboard obviously depends on the GPU choice. I am leaning towards an Intel chipset P45 because I have heard of stability issues with nVidia chipsets. This eliminates any option of SLI right? I've never OCed so I don't plan to do much, though to be honest I'm not familiar with how much I can gain from it.

With that in mind, I'm looking at the Gigabyte EP45-DS3R because of the Xfire option, though its x8 / x8 only. Is that going to limit my Xfire? If you don't recommend I use crossfire, then I can look at the EP35-DS3L right? Any other motherboards I should consider? The Asus P5Q seems to be a bit more expensive from what I've seen. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128344

GPUs: ATI 4850/70 512MB, GTX 260 192/216 core. I've found the 260 and 4870(512mb) around the same price. 4850 is cheaper, but I was looking at the HIS 4850 512MB IceQ4 so I don't need an aftermarket cooler. Will I need an extra cooling solution for any of these cards (or if I Xfire the 4850)? Is there anything to gain with a 1GB 4850? Is the GTX 260 216 core that much better? Also, how does the new ATI 4850x2 compare to the Xfire-d version?

Please also recommend a manufacturer for the GPUs. I'd prefer not needing additional cooling or swapping off the stock-cooling.

I don't mind spending an extra $50-100 for significant improvement over a cheaper card, but only if that means I can keep using my system without upgrading the GPU (or PSU) for longer. :p

Thanks in advance, and I apologize for noob-ish questions. :)
 
If im not wrong you need to use same series gpu's for crossfire. if you get a 4850 you can only cross it with other 4*** series. I would recommend 4870 and in a year or two when it drop below 100$ get another one but that may be to pricey for you.
 
Asus P5Q Pro + Asus 4850 Top about $320
This would be your best bet.
68d30a9594728bc39aa24be94b319d21.gif
 
Back
Top