• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Help with first overclock (Q6600/780i)?

kissenger

n00b
Joined
Apr 17, 2008
Messages
37
I've never overclocked anything before but I just fitted a new cooler on my Q6600 and I want to overclock it so that I can get the most out of Battlefield 3!

I've done a fair amount of reading and I've came up with a plan based on what I've read. Here it is:

*Turn off Intel Speed Step, CPU Thermal Control and C1E Enhanced Halt State.
*Turn off all Spread Spectrum items. That means: CPU, HT, PCIe (SPP), PCIe (MCP), SATA.
*Set the CPU multiplier to 9.
*Set FSB Memory Clock to unlinked.
*Set the FSB to 400.

*Test for stability with OCCT.
*If OCCT runs fine then do a more in-depth test with Prime95.
*If I run into problems, up the Vcore.

Does this sound okay to you guys? I won't fry anything doing this will I? I'm running at just over 20C on idle at stock, so I can't see how I could mess anything up too severely...

Also, in what increments should I up the Vcore? I haven't got a clue...

Oh, and my mobo is a 780i. Stepping is G0 and ram is OCZ 4GB (2x2) Platinum Edition DDR2 PC2 8000 1000MHz, CL 5-5-5-18.
 
It's not that simple, read THIS 780i OC guide ;)

For 3.6GHz you'll need a lot of voltage and good cooling.
 
The 780i can be tricky. The talk about FSB/memory holes is no joke, particularly with unlinked FSB/memory. If you can't POST around 3.4-3.6 but have stable 3.0-3.4, before you dial back or push much voltage you may want to play with the target memory and FSB to get it to select different straps. If I recall I had to jump about 50MHz on target memory to get from one stable strap to the next.
 
That is pretty much the pre-eminent 780i OC guide. The 780i is a tricky beast. I had to do some penciling on mine to get proper voltages for my OCs. I switched up to the 790i which was a lot better for OCs.
 
Back
Top