Help with fiber setup

artbird309

Weaksauce
This is the really the first time I have connected anything with fiber that is not the exact same and I am trying to make sure this will work without problems.

I am trying to connect my Dad's shed to the house network and they are about 160 ft away. The area has a lot of lighting so I want to do fiber so I don't fry my switches like all the satellite boxes. I just want internet and the ability to stream TV from the NAS in the house so I only need FastEthernet and as cheap as possible.

Here is the equipment I have:
2 Cisco Catalyst 2924 XL with built in 100BaseFX (SC connectors)
1 Cisco Catalyst 3548 XL with 2 open GBIC slots (SC connectors)
1 Dell PowerConnect 5324 with 4 open SFP slots (LC connectors) - Currently main switch for the house

My first thought was to use the Dell switch connected to the Cisco 2924 XL but everything I have found is that that I would need a 100BaseFX SFP for the Dell and I can not find anything like that so I think that is out. Correct?

So what I am thinking now is connect the Dell with a Fiber Store SFP 1000Base-SX to the Cisco 3548 XL with a Cisco WS-G5484 1000Base-SX.

I would like to use this Dell cable but I am not sure what the specs are so I don't know if it will work but it is LC to SC so direct connection.

If that does not work I was thinking of using this cable and getting this coupler then this patch cable to connect to the Cisco switch because it needs a SC connector.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
A non-dell SFP will likely work in the powerconnect just fine. There are SC Cisco 100BASE-FX SFP's on ebay for ~$30, seems like it's worth a shot for the simplest solution.

A non-dell SFP will likely work in the powerconnect just fine. There are SC Cisco 100BASE-FX SFP's on ebay for ~$30, seems like it's worth a shot for the simplest solution.

I'm confused about the "SC Cisco 100BASE-FX SFP's" would I be able to get one or put it in the PowerConnect and connect to the Cisco 2924 XL?

I didn't look up your switch, but the optics just need to match on both ends, if your power connect will take SFP modules, they don't need to be dell specific, its all the same stuff.

I understand, I am trying to be cheaper than $30 for a SFP. So I ordered a WS-G5484 1000Base-SX GBIC for $3.99 and will get a 1000Base-SX SFP for the Dell for about $11.

Back