Help with Epson XP-400 driver

I Right-Clicked on:

iscan-data_1.36.0-1_all.deb

and selected:

Run with Ubuntu Software Center

or opened a terminal and ran the one of the following commands:

sudo dkpg -i /home/username/Downloads/iscan-bundle-1.0.0.x64.deb/data/iscan-bundle-1.0.0.x64.deb

or

sudo /home/username/Downloads/iscan-bundle-1.0.0.x64.deb/install.sh

,but printers doesn't show that I have a printer installed.

I went to CUPS as follows:

http://localhost:631/

Then attempted driver installation there as an ME-320 or ME-300, but I get the error:

processing since
Thu 20 Oct 2016 05:10:39 PM EDT
"Unable to locate printer "Epson_XP-400"."

My printer is connected, but why doesn't my printer print. Epson technical support told me to do a nozzle check and then a head cleaning until my printed page showed no missing lines when doing a nozzle check, but when it still showed missing lines they said to let the printer rest for 6 hours before printing again.

When I asked how does this help resolve my issue with the driver they said you need to consult Linux because it is a problem with your connection or computer or Linux not our printer, so here I am. I'm using Ubuntu 14.4.3 LTS and the Ubuntu community will not let me join there forum because their registration process doesn't work. What should I do now? I've never written a printer driver before and if it's written in assembly I haven't had time to learn it or found an environment that's safe to experiment with it on. Can anyone help me.

You need to reinstall the printer. I prefer to just use cups vs the ubuntu/mint whatever print manager. Is the printer connected via a network cable or usb?

You need to reinstall the printer. I prefer to just use cups vs the ubuntu/mint whatever print manager. Is the printer connected via a network cable or usb?

The printer is connected via USB and I've tried reinstalling the driver several times using all methods possible, but Ubuntu or CUPS can't find it. CUPS doesn't really have a driver for it either and the closest I can get is an ME-300 or ME-320, but Ubuntu still can't find the printer.

This is the output I get from the /var/log/syslog file:

Oct 20 20:35:03 hostname compiz: pam_ecryptfs: seteuid error
Oct 20 20:35:06 hostname kernel: [93173.612272] usb 1-6: USB disconnect, device number 3
Oct 20 20:35:06 hostname kernel: [93173.612564] usblp0: removed
Oct 20 20:35:06 hostname udev-configure-printer: remove /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb1/1-6
Oct 20 20:35:06 hostname colord: device removed: sysfs-EPSON-EPSON_XP-400_Series

It's saying your printer has been removed/disconnected. Try plugging it into a different usb port and make sure it didn't come lose on the other end. Make sure the printer is configured to use USB and not wifi/network.

It's saying your printer has been removed/disconnected. Try plugging it into a different usb port and make sure it didn't come lose on the other end. Make sure the printer is configured to use USB and not wifi/network.

It knows it's there if i go to add a printer in printers, but it doesn't have a driver for it and neither does CUPS. If I use the driver provided by Epson it doesn't work, which I don't understand because it worked before.

Last edited:
Unfortunately it seems that Ubuntu 16.04 is incompatible with a lot of drivers.

Thanks, but I'm using Ubuntu 14.4.3 LTS not 16.4.

I ignored your link because it's not for Ubuntu 14.4.3 and went to the download page for the Linux driver. However, now I get the following error when I try to install the driver from Epson for .deb:

"Requires installation of untrusted packages

This requires installing packages from unauthenticated sources.

debugedit dh-apparmor dpkg-dev heirloom-mailx librpm3 librpmbuild3 librpmio3 librpmsign1 lsb lsb-base lsb-core lsb-cxx lsb-desktop lsb-graphics lsb-invalid-mta lsb-languages lsb-multimedia lsb-printing lsb-release lsb-security rpm rpm-common rpm2cpio"

What the heck is going on here now? I never had this problem before.

I ignored your link because it's not for Ubuntu 14.4.3 and went to the download page for the Linux driver. However, now I get the following error when I try to install the driver from Epson for .deb:

"Requires installation of untrusted packages

This requires installing packages from unauthenticated sources.

debugedit dh-apparmor dpkg-dev heirloom-mailx librpm3 librpmbuild3 librpmio3 librpmsign1 lsb lsb-base lsb-core lsb-cxx lsb-desktop lsb-graphics lsb-invalid-mta lsb-languages lsb-multimedia lsb-printing lsb-release lsb-security rpm rpm-common rpm2cpio"

What the heck is going on here now? I never had this problem before.

Nevermind the following fixed it, but it the printer still is not detected and yes it's connected:

sudo apt-get install debugedit dh-apparmor dpkg-dev heirloom-mailx librpm3 librpmbuild3 librpmio3 librpmsign1 lsb lsb-base lsb-core lsb-cxx lsb-desktop lsb-graphics lsb-invalid-mta lsb-languages lsb-multimedia lsb-printing lsb-release lsb-security rpm rpm-common rpm2cpio

Nevermind the following fixed it, but it the printer still is not detected and yes it's connected:

sudo apt-get install debugedit dh-apparmor dpkg-dev heirloom-mailx librpm3 librpmbuild3 librpmio3 librpmsign1 lsb lsb-base lsb-core lsb-cxx lsb-desktop lsb-graphics lsb-invalid-mta lsb-languages lsb-multimedia lsb-printing lsb-release lsb-security rpm rpm-common rpm2cpio

I tried switching to every other USB port on my labtop and the computer would still not detect the printer at all. I know the USB ports aren't bad because I have my mouse connected to rear port on the left side, I used front one successfully with other things, the front right works with external hard drives and usb flash drives, and the rear right port works with external hard drives and flash drives too, so I must have a bad printer. However, Epson seems to think the problem is with Linux and won't help any further, although I haven't contacted them to tell this recent discovery at this point that I'm posting as a reply to my own reply.

The printer works with Windows 10 EDU and probably works with Windows 10 Home or Pro, but the driver for Windows had to Update the firmware to make it work. Therefore, it might work with Linux now, but I haven't tried it yet and if it does how was I supposed to know because firmware updates are not part of the Linux driver or an option when installing the Linux driver. I hope my reply to my own thread isn't considered thread necroing either.

Ok it works in Linux again too now, but I had to download the latest drivers. It appears it contained the necessary software to install a possible firmware update for it to work with Linux and if not it seems as though it at least needed to be installed to make the scanner work with Linux. I printed a test page too and it printed, although because my printer is low on ink it didn't print with the best quality. However, it printed though, so problem solved by Epson or the Linux community and it just may have taken them a while to do so. I'm surprised I had to install a firmware update for a printer too, because I've never had to do one for any printer I've had before that I can remember, but I did and now it works.

Last edited:
Back