Help with Dry Ice Block...

mavalpha

[H]F Junkie
I've been wanting to mess with Dry Ice for a while, and I've finally got a spare combo that I can afford to screw up on; FYI, it's a Willamette 1.5 with Abit 423/845/PC133 motherboard, on its way from the UK. I've got an idea for a cooling block, but I don't have the tools to mold/weld copper or anything.

Also, the CPU was a "You want this? I don't need it anymore"- I don't have a heatsink or mounting for it, just the brackets on the mobo. Any ideas on fastenings, or perhaps more "permanent" cooling solutions?

TIA,
Shaggy

Bump?

I'm thinking of psuedo-soldering a copper pipe onto a fairly thin sheet of copper, and then just clamping it down with a couple of bars. Will that work? I really need some help, since this will be a trial for a second chip which I DON'T want to kill- a Banias 1500. I can't afford LN2 or Prommy/VapoChill, but I really want to supercool something. I already tried using inverted compressed air on my A64, but it only took the CPU down to about 10C (positive) and I couldn't keep it there to OC; I want to hit and maintain negatives, at least for a few minutes.

Tube on plate is classic. It will work. Get a 1/2" thick base plate and put some divots or something in center (inside were the tube will be). Drill some holes on the outside of the base plate to line up with the screws holes of the mobo (if there are any on that old board) and then insulate and mount it.

Also, click here...all the info, pictures and past trials you need.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=156

Much appreciated, thanks! I'll post updates when I get around to trying it, especially since I don't have the parts right now.

Back