Help with DOA computer/potential new computer build?

Bennyb

2[H]4U
So I was just gifted a Dell XPS 630 Specs here. It has a Quad core proc, two Radeon 4850s in SLI, and 8 gigs of RAM.

Sadly as we were unable to prove the value of it, it was shipped uninsured and appears to have arrived with a busted motherboard. There is some physical damage to the case but as far as I can tell the rest of the computer is intact. The computer still turns on, but emits the beep code which seems to indicate motherboard failure. I've re-seated everything except the CPU with no luck.

My first question is, can anything be salvaged from this computer in order to build something relatively cheaply? Perhaps spending no more than 100-200 using everything except the motherboard.

Secondly, as this computer is 3-4 years old now, would spending 300-400 to build something new net me better performance?

I've been using a laptop from 2008 to play the few games I play these days (mostly LoL, a little CS, some civ 5, and the occasional other game, though I will be playing GW2). If spending 400 on something that I will be able to upgrade over time is reasonable I would potentially consider that option as well.

Thanks for any help

My advice:

Sell the RAM ($40), video cards (~$50 each) and cpu (~$70 value).
DDR2 ram is more expensive than DDR3. I'm just guessing at the used value for 8GB of DDR2
Trash the motherboard, psu & case.

I think you'll get more money out of it by selling the parts on the forum rather than replacing the motherboard & selling the computer whole.

Build a new machine and you have roughly $200 for free on top of your $300-$400 and you can have something decent.

If you have to buy a Win7 license, it really cuts down your options for the new build. Don't reuse that power supply or hard drive.

Back