help with dell latitude laptop......

tgg

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok I have this old dell laptop latitude LS which is a p3 400mhz I beleive I saw that during bootup and it will run win2000, nt, 98, according to that that little sticker label on the front. Now currently when booting up it goes to a windows 98 command promt with the c: prompt flashing. Is there a way to load up windows from there?

If not then How is it possible to install a windows os? Theres no floppy drive, cdrom drive, just a docking staition, pcmia slot, usb port etc

Boot into the BIOS and set the CDROM as first drive and throw the disk in and restart....

Yea it sounds like someone formated it with /s option. Anyway OP you can boot the machine off a cd and install windows or get a boot disk from bootdisk.com and boot it off a floppy drive with cdrom drivers on it. This is if you can find a cheap set of drives for it.

You can also hook the hard drive up to a desktop using an adapter and copy the windows install files to it and start the setup from that command prompt.

Edit:
Ok MajorDomo's post was here when I looked in here. O well.

See if you can find an external CD ROM drive and install from there

ninja edit.....I saw where he didn't have and external media drives....

I had this problem a while back. I ended up finding USB drivers for dos and then installing them and then installing windows 98 that way but I had to find a floppy drive atleast. If that wasn't going to work for me my next option was to pull HD out and do what swatbat said.

edit: I installed damn small linux on my old compaq armada instead of windows. It should be easy to copy to (50MB) pcmcia or usb and boot off external media.

Back