• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

help with data recovery from scsi drive

Ruiner

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 22, 2000
Messages
3,093
I had a shorted pcb on a maxtor atlas. I replaced the pcb from a new drive. The scsi card will see the drive, but I get a read error right after dmi verif.
I've tried repairing and reinstalling from the winxp cd, but it hangs at 'examining startup environment'.

Ghost will try to check it, but fails.

If I try to boot into a good IDE drive (but with the scsi hooked up), it hangs right after the xp flash screen.
thus, I can't use file scavenger.

My next step will be to run uneraser from a dos floppy. Any other ideas?

The data isn't that important that it warrants an expensive service, but I figured I'd give it the college try.
 
bah. uneraser is reporting quite a few bad sectors.
any other ideas?
 
generally replacing the PCB only works if it's identical to the orignal. are both of them from the same week?

most likely thats your problem.
 
I'm not sure about the same week, but all the chips look identical. It worked for me before.
 
Felix you may be right.
Not only couldn't I recover my data from the old drive, but when I put the new pcb back on the new drive, it won't work.

I get the same errors in ghost. If I boot my ide drive windows will see the scsi drive, but won't initialize it.

More likely I suppose, was that the old drive was internally shorted as well, and it damaged the new pcb somehow. It is possible that an incompatibility may have damaged it instead.

oh well. Does anyone want a 100 dollar paperweight?
 
Back
Top