• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

help with cutting lian-li pc65b

dVeLoPe

Bad Trader
Joined
Jan 11, 2005
Messages
209
I was wondering where would be the best place to mount a 120x2 radiator in a Lian-Li PC65B midtower.. I was thinking of mounting it externally but would much rather like it inside maybe on the floor? (no room for pump and res?) or on the top or the case in the drive bay area woud be the best but what would I use to mark a template or cut it out ?!? last time I cut up a case for fan mounting I used sheet metal scissors and it looks like crap especially without a grill lol :(
 
1x piece of cardboard
1x black sharpie
1x dremel
10-20x cutting wheels

i would definitly mount it in the top... really its the only option besides the exterior..
 
Well I recieved the case today and took some measurements till I get the radiator this weekend. I have a PSU wich is 5.5 inchs and a radiator which is 11 inchs so I have plent of room to mount it. my only issur is making a nice clean cut and being able to stick a grill on there flush with the case. I have access to an electrical A/C sheet metal cutting tool and sheet metal sciccors no dremel, no hole saw, no fancy stuff and am not able to purchase anything I must use what I have.. What would be the best way to go about this?
 
GO REALLY SLOW.

I mean, take a good 30 minutes on the cut!

What is this AC sheet metal cutting tool?
 
Basiclly an electric pair of scissors like the hand-version of the tool but with more power to cut sheet metal. Something like this but not this brand

Jet%20air%20shear.jpg
 
I used dremmel, file set, drill and jig saw

dscf1137gh9.jpg

the wire on the top is a temp sensor that i later hid to read ambient temps
 
Easiest way (if you're just trying to cut 2 120mm holes out) is to get an electric drill and buy a 4" holesaw. Just borrow someone's drill if you don't have one. Not a close up pic, but that's how I did mine w/ a dual 120mm heatercore.

DSC02141.JPG
 
I would not use sheet metal scissors (I always refer to them as aviator snips) as they tend to deform the metal. I have used many different hand ones and ones that are very sharp and they still bend the metal around the cut.

On the soft metal of the Lian-Li cases it would really deform it. I used aviator snips to cut the tabs off the drive blanks (to use as stealth drives), and it bent the aluminum quite a bit (luckily it did not matter on the sides though and bent back fairly easily out of sight).

It could be done with metal scissors, just would be hard not to get major deformation and bends in the flat top.
 
To anyone who has this case -

The specs show that it is compatible with ATX motherboards only. Most ATX cases also accept mATX but the PC-65 specs don't show it.

Can anyone say for sure if it has the holes for a mATX install?

Thanks,

DE
 
ok well i am in the proccess of cleaning out my radiator with vinegar so tommorow I will be installing everything. I need to go out today and buy the proper tools whichever they may be so I can not mess up my case because I was about to do it with hand metal scissors... It will have a 2x120mm RadGRILL over it so in reality if the cut isnt all that great it's not going to show but I DO NOT want any of the top to deform. WHAT DO I USE! (other than the 4inch holesaw arent those only for metal?)
 
Dremel, Adjustable hole saw (my first choice), sheet metal scisors (if you're STRONG) or a regular hole saw will all make nice cuts.

Oh, and get a few good files. You're gonna need them.

Just, get a hole saw... And some cutting oil (like 4$ a bottle) and you'll be making 120mm holes for years to come. It's really a great investment for a future mod.

Hole saws will cut through aluminum like butter... provided you're steady as hell with the drill.
 
Well I used a jig-saw and a punch out to drill the holes.. I don't like the existing blow-hole stayed partially (any more back and the psu wouldnt fit) in view but it's the best I could do..

photo002ma5.jpg
 
Back
Top