help with crossover network

i have a main system and a secondary system. the main is a winxp home machine connecting to my network via a wireless card. i have a pci nic in it and i run a crossover cable from that machine to my old one, a win98 box. on the first machine i have both the local area network and the wireless one configured, and the wired one set to share the connection. i'm not sure what settings to use on the win98 box so i have it set to automatically configure everything. i can't get the internet on the 2nd machine, only on the first. anyone have tips for what could be wrong?

am i supposed to set the wireless connection to be shared, or the wired one with the crossover cable? when i share the wireless one, it sets my ip to a static one that doesn't work with my wireless router.

i don't mean to be a jerk but i remember doing this once and I don't remember how i exactly did, i basically kept changing ips and other options until it eventually worked..

However on Win 98 vs Win Xp thats gotta be hard, see if you can upgrade somehow

i think the 500mhz amd k6 with 128mb of ram and a cheapo pci card will run xp fine with all the extras turned off, but my 2gb harddrive will leave me like 50mb of space once its installed. i'll just wait to upgrade once i get a bigger 10gb or so hdd, thanks for the tip. that'll make it all easier in the long run.

wait wait, are you trying to share internet from the router -> computer -> win 98 computer

or just share files??

I just did this about half an hour ago for my dad.

On the XP Home machine, select the wireless connection, right-click, Properties, Advanced. Select Share this connection.. blah blah

It should automatically set the wired NIC to an address of 192.168.0.1

Then on the Win98 machine, go into the TCP/IP settings for the NIC and make sure it is set to automatically receive and IP. Then on the Default Gateway tab, enter the above IP of the XP NIC and select Add. You'll then restart and presto.. internet.

i currently have it set like so on my xp machine

the wireless connection receiving the internet:
ip: 192.168.1.105
gateway: 192.168.1.1 (ip of router)
subnet: 255.255.255.0
dns1: 204.127.202.4
dns2: 216.148.227.68
this connection is set to be shared

the wired connection, wired to the 98 box with a crossover cable:
ip: 192.168.0.1
gateway: 192.168.1.105 (ip of first computer)

the win98 box is set to use the gateway 192.168.0.1 and should automatically be assigned all other values. i tried pinging the 2 machines and i get a 100% packet loss. what do i have set wrong?

Your main machine should have two IP's. The wireless IP and the pci nic IP. Set the PCI NIC IP to 192.168.0.2. The gateway on your win 98 machine should be 192.168.0.2.

You have it ALL wrong... just make sure both computers are set to receive an IP automatically and follow the instructions I gave you before.

i have the wireless connection on the xp box configured to everything is automatically set by my wireless router. it works fine, i have internet working on the winxp box. i set this connection to be shared, and it makes it so i have to configure the wired connection manually. it's given the following by default:

i have to fill in the rest, so i use all the other digits from my wireless connection. i end up with the wired connection being set as follows:
gateway: 192.168.1.1

those dns servers are the ones listed on my wireless router's config page and they're the ones my wireless nic receives. i'm confused on what the gateway should be for the wired nic. should it be the ip of my router? that's the gateway of my wireless nic. should it be the ip of my wireless connection? maybe i'm not good at explaining this. any help is appreciated.

Don't add anything else to the wired NIC on the XP machine.

When you enable ICS on the wireless, it will configure the NIC with a static IP. Dont' change anything else!!

Got to the 98 machine and just add 192.168.0.1 as the default gateway, but don't do anything to the IP settings.

tried that, and it isn't working. i'm not supposed to add dns servers or anything on the win98 box? i'll try to install firefox and a firewall on it so i can give it needed access to see if that's the problem.

That'll just complicate things.

Are you using a cross over cable, or a normal straight through cable?

you need a cross over if you're not using a switch.

it's a crossover cable. this worked once before when i was LANing with one of my friends. he also had xp though, and that made things a lot easier. the os configured everything for us. should i just stop bothering with it and install xp?

another option is to create a "bridge" between the wireless nic and the wired. by brother was doing this when he had 2 comps (1 xp 1 linux box) and only one network cable. he gave it up tho because it took too much cpu. it may work for you. just select the 2 network adapters and select "bridge these" or some such. it should relay packets thru to the win98 box without any win98 config at all.

other debug: is the win98 box seeing the xp at all? do `ping 192.168.0.1` from the 98 and the other way from the xp. if that isn't working something else is wrong.

or whats incredibly easier is to buy a $20 hub/switch (hub works the same as the switch if theres only 2 computers)

i don't understand why you're not doing that originally

snikku: the computers aren't seeing each other. a hub/switch won't help.

stringcheeseincident: so do they ping each other? try a bridge? revised steps:
1. right click my network places and select properties.
2. select the 2 adapters, hit control to select more than one.
3. right-click; select "bridge connections".
i dunno if there's a wizard. if there is follow it. shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

Snikku said:
or whats incredibly easier is to buy a $20 hub/switch (hub works the same as the switch if theres only 2 computers)

i don't understand why you're not doing that originally
or just buy a $20 wireless nic for the 98 machine.

Back