atomsquasher
n00b
- Joined
- May 20, 2014
- Messages
- 1
I run two 2TB drives in my computer...using one of those as a backup of the other.
I have had two consecutive Seagate 2TB drives fail recently in my computer, one I purchased in 2013 and when that one died, one purchased a couple of months ago in 2014, which promptly died a couple of days ago). I am worried that maybe the power supply is the cause. (I am writing this from the machine I have tested the power supply shown below on, which I should mention is still faithfully running a Seagate 2TB drive bought back in 2012....so that one has shown no problems at all)
I have never tested a power supply before, and I am wondering if my power supply is good or bad? Below are the results I got on all the different tests...the numbers stayed the same:
No audible alarms went off on any of the testing, no "LL" for Low Power appeared, nor did any "HH" for High Power appear. However, I did notice that on the SATA connectors only the 5 volt and 12 volt LED's lit up, not the 3.3v. I don't really know what that means. As, if SATA needs 3.3v to work, my hard drive is working. So, I don't know why the 3.3v LED didn't light up.
I then tested a NEW Heavy Duty Power Supply I bought for another machine and put the differences in color. (I am hoping the code tabs keep the tabbed spacing for readability.)
I noticed that some of the voltages gittered by about .1 back and forth. For instance, the 3.3 sometimes flipped to 3.2 and back and forth WHILE I WAS WATCHING IT! The numbers I have shown are what appeared to be the most common and stable ones. I don't know it that is a common thing or not, but I would think one would want the supply to be as stable as possible...but maybe jumping .1 is not a problem? HOWEVER.....all 3 voltage LED's lit up when I tested the SATA connector, instead of only the 2 on the other power supply.
Are both these power supplies good or is there something wrong with both of them???
Thanks very much for your help and thoughts!
I have had two consecutive Seagate 2TB drives fail recently in my computer, one I purchased in 2013 and when that one died, one purchased a couple of months ago in 2014, which promptly died a couple of days ago). I am worried that maybe the power supply is the cause. (I am writing this from the machine I have tested the power supply shown below on, which I should mention is still faithfully running a Seagate 2TB drive bought back in 2012....so that one has shown no problems at all)
I have never tested a power supply before, and I am wondering if my power supply is good or bad? Below are the results I got on all the different tests...the numbers stayed the same:
Code:
Goal: 5.0 12 3.3 -12.0 +12.0 5VBS 0 - 500ms
Actual: 5.0 11.6 3.2 11.8 11.6 4.8 480ms (Power Good)
No audible alarms went off on any of the testing, no "LL" for Low Power appeared, nor did any "HH" for High Power appear. However, I did notice that on the SATA connectors only the 5 volt and 12 volt LED's lit up, not the 3.3v. I don't really know what that means. As, if SATA needs 3.3v to work, my hard drive is working. So, I don't know why the 3.3v LED didn't light up.
I then tested a NEW Heavy Duty Power Supply I bought for another machine and put the differences in color. (I am hoping the code tabs keep the tabbed spacing for readability.)
Code:
Goal: 5.0 12 3.3 -12.0 +12.0 5VBS 0 - 500ms
Actual: 5.1 11.9 3.3-2 11.3 11.9 4.9 410ms (Power Good)
I noticed that some of the voltages gittered by about .1 back and forth. For instance, the 3.3 sometimes flipped to 3.2 and back and forth WHILE I WAS WATCHING IT! The numbers I have shown are what appeared to be the most common and stable ones. I don't know it that is a common thing or not, but I would think one would want the supply to be as stable as possible...but maybe jumping .1 is not a problem? HOWEVER.....all 3 voltage LED's lit up when I tested the SATA connector, instead of only the 2 on the other power supply.
Are both these power supplies good or is there something wrong with both of them???
Thanks very much for your help and thoughts!