• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help with cooling ideas for new system

gotonpo

n00b
Joined
Jul 17, 2005
Messages
7
Hey everyone! This is my first post. I've been lurking for a while and need a little advice.

I'm going to build my first computer. (Well, the first I'll have built myself).

I've decided on several things. I know I want an AMD x2 cpu, ASUS mb, 7800gtx, 2gb ram, and I'll probably wind up having 3 hds in there.

I also really want a Lian Li case. Unfortunately the only one that will fit where I need it to go is the pc-3077. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811112048

I'm a little worried about stuffing all of those components in such a little case. I probably won't overclock to start, but I'm definitely interested in moderate OCs eventually. I'd love any ideas on how I might keep safe temperatures inside of this case. I'm wary about going with water cooling right now, but it might be an option in the future. I'm not afraid to cut the case a little.

Should I enlarge the blowhole? Add more fans on top? Add a second Lian Li HDD cage w/ another intake fan?

Put a fancy heatsink on the cpu? I've heard some problems with this because the PSU hangs over the MB.

I just don't know what steps to take first.

Secondly, for the PSU, which would be tidier.. something like a modular Antec Neopower, or something non-modular?

Thanks for any input!
 
I would suggest getting an 80mm to 120mm fan adapter and putting a 120mm exhaust fan in for starters. Also adding a blow hole in the side or top will help.
 
I have an idea I wanted to bounce off all the folks here. Since the power supply covers a good area of the motherboard (possibly preventing the use of certain heatsinks), how about keeping the power supply outside the case? If the cables are long enough, I could still confine everything in the space I need it to be in. Is there some sort of fan housing I could put where the power supply would have gone?
 
Back
Top