HELP with COLOR LCD INSTALLATION!

Xandas

n00b
Joined
Feb 29, 2004
Messages
45
Im currently in the process of installing a color LCD to my computer...

First off the specs:

Power requirements : DC12-14.4V
Power Output : 10W
Video Color system : NTSC
Environment Temp: -10DegreeC - -55DegreeC

Now the wires go

----------------------RED +12v----------->
---------------------Black GND----------->
--------------------Yellow Backup------>
------------------Green Brake Switch-->

the wire is 600v 12 gauge........

First question.. I tried it..... wire burnt up.... Im thinking that I didnt check the gauge . (dont see any other reason it would burn)

So this is what my plan is



------------Red +12v---------> Molex <-----------------Power supply
------------Black GNd-------> Molex <----------------Power supply




Like I said I tried it earlier.... and the wire burnt up like there was to much power.. it was probably caused I used the wrong wire..... even though I really dont see why i would make such a noob mistake

CAN 600v 12gauge wire go directly into a molex without trouble?
All this time I thought it would be absolutely no trouble to use this 12 gauge (usually more commonly in cars with 12v batteries)

SOLUTIONS? HELP!?
 
I would tend not to think that 12 gauge wire is too small for that current load. You may try using a tiny bit bigger one though just to make sure. Also, another obvious thing to check is that none of your wires aren't completely insulated and creating a short somewhere. Then take a multimeter and check the current through the new wire.
 
Well according to those specs it draws 10W. P=V*I so I =P/V => 0.83amps.

12ga wire is sufficient for that load. I believe your problem lies somewhere else.

Check you connections and make sure your polarity is right. Also make sure nothing is touching the LCD circuit board that may cause a short.
 
Back
Top