Help With Choosing The Correct Audio Devices

My knowledge in computer audio is generally lacking. I understand some of the basics, but I don't really know the intricacies and the details, so that's why I'm here.

I've grown extremely sick of "gaming headsets", especially wireless ones, as I've had nothing but problems with them, and have found that they're generally lacking in some form or another. I was previously using Astro A40s, which I had very few complaints with, other than price, until eventually they, the MixAmp, and my soundcard all died (with large gaps of time between them). Now I'm using Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum (Wireless), with no soundcard, amp, or DAC. I absolutely hate the headset, the audio/mic quality, and build in general, and was looking to get something new.

I was hoping for something that's more general purpose, I listen to a lot of music, watch movies, play video games, and do minor video editing, although the emphasis would be placed on gaming and music.

I was looking around, and some of the products I was considering were the Audio Technica ATH-M50xWH, the Akai Professional Project 50x, or a few others for the headphones. For a mic I was considering the Antlion Mod Mic 5, or a Blue Yeti mic. I'm not sure if I would need any soundcard, amp, or DAC for those, and I especially wouldn't have any clue which would be the best options.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would suggest that you edit your first post and give us a budget for the overall cost of your total upgrade. Otherwise you are going to get anything from $100 suggestions to $10,000 suggestions. :)

Next question is what else do you do? I see that you say minor video editing and gaming; does that mean that you may want to stream to a gaming service like Twitch and want your mic to sound the very best it can? What about things like podcasts and Youtube? Might want to elaborate a bit more. :)

I see that you mentioned builds without an aftermarket soundcard or DAC which is completely acceptable nowadays. Might want to mention which motherboard you have or even better the model number of the audio solution on it. Some of the motherboards have a really nice DAC built into them. Some are average. The guys would probably want to know.

Welcome to the forums! Hope you enjoy our community and the knowledge of the people here!

I got sick of the "gaming headsets" breaking all the time and started looking for something more durable.

The V-MODA M100 headset (and their other models) are built like a tank. They cater to people who like more bass and overall fidelity is what I would call "good" - certainly very good for gaming and movies.

I also have the smaller V-MODA XS set and I like them a lot but the cushions have come unstitched and while they are under warranty, it's cheaper and easier to just buy some new ones yourself.

Both of these models have 3.5mm jacks on both sides and you can use a simple aux/patch cable to connect them. You can also plug a second set of headphones into the other jack and daisy chain a second listener which is pretty cool.

So for durability and utility, these get my vote - others can suggest better music headphones.

Back