Help with Choosing LCD TV for PC use

reaper12

2[H]4U
Hi All,

After looking through the various threads and stuff here, I decided I wanted to buy a westinghouse 37 inch LCD, the LVM-37W3 one. But, it is not available in my country and I don't want to risk getting it delivered from America.

There are several choices for me from Benq, dell, and hp. But nothing that excited me too much, so I decided to look at LCD TV's instead LCD monitors.

Have a look at these two

Sony

or

Samsung

I am going to be using it to connect to my PC. To play PC games, and my office work. They are both around the same price. My PC has an X1900XT-X card.

I'm leaning towards the Samsung.

Am I been stupid buying a TV for the computer? Should I just wait a while for a good LCD monitor?

Are either of these two worth buying?

Well, I was thinking of going for the samsung, it seems to be the best I can get in Europe for PC use and for watching HD movies.

For those of you that didn't read it here are rough specs.

16:9 display,
1920*1080 resolution,,
92% colour gamut,
8ms response time,
VGA and 2 HDMI inputs,
9 in 2 card reader slot,
2 USB ports,
also s-video, 2 scart, composite and component connections.

It has a problem with 1 to 1 mapping on component and HDMI, but the newer model has a firmware upgrade that fixes it on HDMI. I won't be using it on component so it is not a problem.

Over in AVS forum they say it has a picture quality as good if not better than the x series bravia range from Sony.

It costs just a little more than the apple 30inch LCD monitor.

there is no DVI, but hopefully that won't be a problem.

It's very slim for a 40inch TV, it is only 9.2 cm wide, which is about 4inches. And weighs about 24 KG.

I think it will be much better than the new dell 3007WFP-HC.

anyway, If anyone can offer any advice before I purchase I would appreciate it. I a just a little concerned that I am buying a TV not a monitor and it won't be as good as a monitor for PC use.

For you guys in the USA, I think there are different model names. This one is the exact same as near as I can tell. So maybe some of you have it and can let me know what it is like.

It is the samsung LNS4096D

Back