Help with build - 2600$ Maingear or AVA

Okay, it was at 7 when I first checked it out. I haven't changed it, but I will put it back at 8

I ran a 3dMark06 benchmark test with all settings at default and scored a 11750. Does this sound low, I'm doing system compares on the 3dmark site and finding other systems with much higher ratings?

I'm pretty sure the "similar systems" on the 3dMark site don't take into account any overclocking, just similar parts. So the overclocked systems will get higher scores. Anyway, someone else posted a thread in this forum asking about his 3dMark score. He has a QX6850 @ 3.0GHz, 6GB DDR2 1066Mhz RAM, and two 8800 Ultra video cards in SLI. His score was 14,430. So I'm guessing that your score is probably in the area it should be. Overclocking both your CPU and video card will produce a higher 3dMark score.

On a side note, the computer was supposed to be Overclocked for free under AVA's may special, but they had forgot to... hopefully that gets sorted out soon.

Dang, I'm sorry to hear that :( If the configuration you posted here was taken from your order, I'm guessing the techs didn't overclock because SERVICE, CPU Overclocking isn't listed. Which still doesn't excuse it, though. Your sales rep should have noticed the problem.

Anyway, if you need help with overclocking, I highly recommend that you send a message to Matt Slagle at AVA. You can use AVA's forum to send a personal message. Explain what happened, and ask him for his directions on overclocking your CPU with that motherboard. Also, an important thing to remember, is that your RAM is running at 800MHz, so the best you can do without overclocking your RAM is 3.2GHz. So 400MHz is the most you can set the FSB without also changing the memory speed, since you want to run 1:1.

Some math (Original by enginurd, updated format by Danny Bui):
Stated FSB/4 = Actual FSB
Multiplier x Actual FSB = CPU Speed
1:1 Ratio: 2 x Actual FSB = RAM Speed
1:1 Ratio: FSB = 1/2 RAM speed

Q9450:
Multi x Actual FSB, RAM Speed = Clock speed
8 x 333MHz, DDR2 667 RAM = 2.66Ghz <== Stock speeds
8 x 400Mhz, DDR2 800 RAM = 3.2Ghz <== Easy OC
8 x 450Mhz, DDR2 900 RAM = 3.6Ghz <== Good OC
8 x 500Mhz, DDR2 1000 RAM = 4.0Ghz <== Excellent OC

I hope this helps.