Help with BIOS settings for OC'd Q6600

Rikki

2[H]4U
Hey there,

Something weird has happened with my rig. Its been OC'd for the past 4 years and was running happily at 3.4GHz with a huge HSF combo but yesterday when it booted up I saw the BIOS screen reporting the CPU was running 2.1GHz.

Its been 4 years since I was in the BIOS so looking at the settings Im scratching my head a bit and since everyhing works great I dont want to muck something up and potentially corrupt my Windows environment so I was wondering if someone could possibly point me in the right direction.

The mobo is a Gigiabye P35c-ds3r and its running 4GB of Geil memory (middle of the road stuff).

Its been that long that Im out of familiar territory in there.

Many thanks for any help

I have that combo as well. DS3R and Q6600. I run mine at 3.6 mostly, but when I do run it at 3.4 it's 425x8 with the memory set to 2.0. That Geil should handle 850 just fine as mine will do 1000 no prob. Same, middle of road memory. Also make sure your PCIe bus is set to 100.

Did speedstep somehow get enabled? Is it still running low clocks when you're at load, or only at idle?

It has nothing to do with SpeedStep, I had a Gigabyte P35 mobo and did that (suddenly forgot OC settings), this odd behaviour was reported with Gigabyte P35 boards on [H] (and other forums) several times, it's called the "Gigabyte stupid mode" by some users.

The solution is simple: save the OC profile in the BIOS and reload it every time when you observe that the rig boot's unusual (repeated start-stop, then boot at default FSB settings).

Sometimes an USB device causes this, it is recommended that you disable "USB Storage Detect" in the BIOS

Trust me, it works ;)

That is fantastic :D

Thanks everyone for the heads up and info - will get it all tried out tonight :)

Worked great thanks folks. Now noted down the details in case it happens again but I think its time for me to start thinking about an upgrade anyway :D

Back