Help with AMD 7950X or Intel i7-13700k

JHFerry

Weaksauce
I thought I had my mind up. 7950x was the was to go.
Uses: Content Creation (Photoshop, Clip Studio, Camtasia, Davinci, OBS)
Pro's of AM5 is the future option to drop a CPU in a board
Con's you need that much of a board to make it future proof
AM5 is not mature yet (e.g., memory speed issues, slow boot time, iGPU seemingly not working like quick sync does)
AM5 boards don't seem to review as well (likely BIOS issues)

Then I took another look at the 13700k.
Pro's more mature
Performs pretty well
A lot cheaper
Con's end of the lifecycle for the socket
Permormance drop in some cases, especially with Resolve

So I though I would throw it out in a post and see what people though. I'd love to buy a MB now, throw the 7950x in there and let it run but I think the entry price for the 13700k is cheaper. Of course, you are then stuck on that platform until you rebuilt.

The 13700k isnt necessarily more mature. The whole P and E core design has only been around two generations. Windows is just finally properly using the configuration. The 7950x is actually a bit older architecture that I would consider more mature than how Intel is configured at this point.

You really cannot beat a 7950x for $520 currently. Details are on SD here

I thought I had my mind up. 7950x was the was to go.
Uses: Content Creation (Photoshop, Clip Studio, Camtasia, Davinci, OBS)
Pro's of AM5 is the future option to drop a CPU in a board
Con's you need that much of a board to make it future proof
AM5 is not mature yet (e.g., memory speed issues, slow boot time, iGPU seemingly not working like quick sync does)
AM5 boards don't seem to review as well (likely BIOS issues)

Then I took another look at the 13700k.
Pro's more mature
Performs pretty well
A lot cheaper
Permormance drop in some cases, especially with Resolve

So I though I would throw it out in a post and see what people though. I'd love to buy a MB now, throw the 7950x in there and let it run but I think the entry price for the 13700k is cheaper. Of course, you are then stuck on that platform until you rebuilt.
If you are interested in Ryzen but also considering the 13700k------then why not look at the 7900x?
Get a Gigabyte or MSI board and memory issues should be less likely, as they are using a January Bios. Asus and Asrock have November/December bios, for most of their boards. Also, MSI and Gigabyte have a "memory context" feature, which drops the boot times a lot.

P.S. Intel also has fairly long boot times, with DDR5. Noticeably longer than the same/similar boards, but with DDR4.

**If you are trying to go without a dedicated GPU, then definitely get an Intel. Quicksync has a lot of support and you will have a good experience with Photoshop and most video editing.

That's a big one for me. A new CPU will fit into an AM5 socket long after Intel drops support for LGA1700. Prior to Ryzen CPUs being introduced, not even socket longevity could induce me to buy an AMD CPU. However, now that AMD can pop out the occasional good one, socket longevity has tipped the scales in AMD's favour.

Back