• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help with alienware aurora m7700.

Darius_

n00b
Joined
May 19, 2008
Messages
13
I met with a client today and just got his 3 or so year old Alienware laptop. (Aurora m7700 as stated before) after going through the symptoms, I'm pretty sure it's a dead graphics card. I want to take everything out of the case though and clean and check everything. Only problem is, I'm scared to death of breaking the casing, is there a guide for this anywhere?

It's my first time dealing with such an expensive computer, and actually my first time disassembling a laptop, so any help on this would be really appreciated. Googling got me nowhere.


If anyone is curious what the problem with it is; Whenever it turns on, the fans run, I get no beep codes, yet the screen does not come on, then the laptop powers down in about 30 seconds. I've reseated the RAM, and everything else but the CPU. (Which I'm not concerned about) I've booted it with only either stick of RAM in, or neither. I get a beep code when their both not in, but that's it.
 
It sounds like the power supply is going. Those are classic symptoms of a bad psu. Just my opinion.
 
Yeah, I'm pretty sure he's SOL. I finally got the darn thing apart,
cleaned it entirely. Checked for any leaking or anything that looked
burned. Most everything was fine. Booted it back up. It powers on, the
screen doesn't come on, then it turns off in about 30 seconds. I then
tried this again without the battery in, and only plugged up to the
adapter. It keeps rebooting itself every 30 seconds now instead of
just shutting down. Tried with only one stick of RAM, doesn't work
with either. Tried it with neither stick, and all I get is a beep
code. (So the CPU is fine, right?) I've plugged up an external monitor
to it, nothing. I've also taken a look at the GPU and there were some
odd things going on with it. First off, some kind of screw was lodged
underneath a metal plate that covers the circuitry, I managed to get
that out, and got a picture of it.
http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/3648/p2160042wd9.jpg

It looks like it's been broken or even melted, it's pretty bad. I
found another one looking exactly like it still in the screw hole on
the GPU (top right in this picture)
http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/7531/p2160041nz7.jpg And if you
notice, there are two more holes for two more of them...screw things.
:D Those would be the two at the top middle of this picture, on
either side of the connector.
http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/8772/p2160038sd3.jpg Sorry that it's
blury, if yo notice at the bottom, there are two screw holes where the
other two should go. Only problem is..they are messed up and not like
the top two AT ALL. There is even sodder that's been melted onto the
board around the screw holes when they broke off I suppose. I think
this may be causing the card to not seat properly?

Hope all that made sense. Thanks for the help guys.


Edit:

Fans don't seem to be running at all, http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/3711/p2160045rg3.jpg and here is the GPU
 
Back
Top