Help with a wireless networking solution (2houses/200ft)

crd

n00b
Diagram of my situation:
wi-fi_project.png

Questions:

-Antenna type? (directional/omni)
-Antenna gain?
-Is my assumption of needing only 2 access points correct? (to connect to pre-existing wired routers in each house)
-Antenna placement? (since I don't have line of sight [2 houses in the way!] I assume i'll need them mounted on the roof)
-Hardware recommendations/brands..
-How awesome is my ms paint diagram?

-Any other cool sites like these:
www.hyperlinktech.com
www.fab-corp.com

awesome thanks for your suggestions and links

now does anyone have any idea about the gain that would be needed for this? dont feel like making a cantenna so I plan on buying a nice sturdy outdoor one. dont really wanna waste money on an antenna that is overkill for my needs.

also im just assuming from my research that any of the home/value networking gear is just a crapshoot as far as brands go, whoever has the best deal at the time? :)

Depends on your transmission cable run from bridge to antenna. Since your going to have to mount on the roof or above the house to get line of sight, you need to figure out how far your going to have to run coax to the antenna. That will determine how much juice your antenna needs. If you had the bridge right next to the antenna for instance, and only had a short pigtail, a 5 dBi yagi would be plenty for a 200 foot shot. Not alot of gain there but it's a directed radiation pattern, rather than omni-directional. Put up hundreds of links of that distance with nothing more than a 5 dBi patch antenna, and these antennas had a wide beamwidth. If you got a 15 degree directional on both ends 200 feet is nothing.

On another note, you will be not only mounting your antenna, can be costly, but you'll also be buying lightening arrestors and properly grounding the mast/bracket. If you omit this you will very likely regret it long term and possibly short term if you live in a part of the country with frequent lightening storms.

i know netgear has some omni antennas and directional antennas to do this kind of thing.. u might want to check there site...

Back